El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my flowmasters put on today! He sounds like he looks now! I also bought Hedman shorty headers and an edelbrock intake manifold (thanks to the beast for finding it!) I really want to coat them myself since I have to get so much of the other stuff done elsewhere. I found lots of info on the web about DIY coating but I want yalls opinion and tips! Thanks, Kim

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I'm guessing nobody else has coated headers themselves.... well I'm gonna go for it so ill post pics (or have the beast post pics for me :)) as I go along. Who knows maybe they'll turn out so good that ill start a coating business! Just kidding.. the headers should be here by Monday so ill start it next week!

· Registered
40 Posts
My friend and I coated the exhaust from a two stroke ultralight aircraft engine a few years back. In order to heat cure the ceramic coating, we had to use a steel drum and a propane barbecue burner as an oven. It looked really good when it was finished, but after a few hours of flight it started flaking off in pretty big pieces. It seems that we were unable to reach the proper temperature in our makeshift oven.
New coatings are probably more forgiving than the older stuff. I say give it a shot and report on your results. If it works for you, I might try coating a set of headers for my cruck.
Rick

· Premium Member
1,324 Posts
IF you have a spare oven (wouldn't advise using the one you have for food), you can get the temp/duration covered. I've talked to some who've done it, and prep isn't all that difficult, and neither is the coating process. The CURING process is what keeps everyone away. Definitely don't use your wife's/mother's oven, or you'll never hear the end of it.:poke:

· Registered
555 Posts
Headers get too hot for any paint or coating, even ceramic coated headers change color over time and begin to look bad. Wrap 'em with some nice black header wrap. They never change color, keep heat out of the engine compartment and look tough.

G

·
Headers get too hot for any paint or coating, even ceramic coated headers change color over time and begin to look bad. Wrap 'em with some nice black header wrap. They never change color, keep heat out of the engine compartment and look tough.
How long is over time? Mine have been coated for 3 years now and still look the same. My uncles pro street Chevelle's headers have been coated for about 10 years and he's still running them with the same ceramic coating as mine. It all depends on the quality of the coat. My buddy Greg at Enduro Coatings did mine for 250 with a turnaround of 4 days. He does almost all the hot rods and bikes in North Texas.
Here's his site.
http://www.endurocoatings.com/

· Registered
555 Posts
How long is over time? Mine have been coated for 3 years now and still look the same. My uncles pro street Chevelle's headers have been coated for about 10 years and he's still running them with the same ceramic coating as mine. It all depends on the quality of the coat. My buddy Greg at Enduro Coatings did mine for 250 with a turnaround of 4 days. He does almost all the hot rods and bikes in North Texas.
Here's his site.
http://www.endurocoatings.com/
I've never seen a painted or coated set of headers or exhaust manifolds that have been ran on an engine and looked just as good as they did when they were brand new or just out of the coating shop.

I'm glad yours still do :beer:

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
Any header coating that is not heat treated in an oven will soon separate from the steel. Spraying a coting on is a waste of time and money. Headers are a tough environment for any coating to survive. My JETHOT coated Hookers are now startkng to bubble a little now after 10 years. Imho, you can only be disappointed with the results.:dontknow:

G

·
Here's mine after 3 years..

A wise man once told me its cheaper to do it right the first time than to do it many times....Your choice...

G

·
This is a pic of what headers look like with a coating and what they look like in time without.
You can see they start to rust. The spray is a quickie,but only lasts for a year MAX.
250 seems expensive but it comes with a 1 year warranty and is a great investment over time. You want quality when it comes to building a true hot rod.

· Registered
257 Posts
X2 I plan on wrapping my when I get to that part. Don't know how old mine r but there a ceramic coat n its starting to look pretty bad.

· Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I am the wife!! But thanks for the heads up! My husband might get pretty pissd if I ruin his oven... lol!
lolol Ya dun gots me on dat wun!!!! It's great to know ya be a female, and have such an avid feel for the Elkys. More power to ya. If you ever replace your oven (especially if it's electric) keep it and use it for a multitude of things that require heating.

One other thing about the spray jobs. They might last a short time, but it does keep the rust down. NOW, mine are wrapped, and they are rusty under the wrapping due to the very nature of wrapping and condensation. If they weren't already wrapped, I would use Rust-O-Leum high temp and do the spray on an annual basis. That's what I do on my '56.

G

·
lolol Ya dun gots me on dat wun!!!! It's great to know ya be a female, and have such an avid feel for the Elkys. More power to ya. If you ever replace your oven (especially if it's electric) keep it and use it for a multitude of things that require heating.

One other thing about the spray jobs. They might last a short time, but it does keep the rust down. NOW, mine are wrapped, and they are rusty under the wrapping due to the very nature of wrapping and condensation. If they weren't already wrapped, I would use Rust-O-Leum high temp and do the spray on an annual basis. That's what I do on my '56.
Or you can just have them coated at a shop. It would save you the removal ritual..:twocents:

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So which one lasts the longest? Coating or wrapping? I went to Napa today and just read the labels on the silica/ceramic coating... it said you can either cure them in the oven or actually cure them after connected while the engine idles... I'm assuming curing them on the car would ultimately lead to an early header grave... there was one brand that said "very high temperature flame proof" and says its guarenteed to protect the exhaust components... is that BS??

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Heh, you'll see all sorts of opinions on this. Wrapping your headers will lead them to an early grave; it helps with temperature, but actually increases rust.

I've seen guys use BBQ paint on their headers, and even IN their headers. But then, you'll find lots of crazy people with T buckets!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.