El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm planning to paint the El Camino once the motor and exhaust are finished. The car is currently a factory burgundy color and it is not very red anymore, it is fading somewhat. I have been getting quotes for paintjobs and now I just need to find a paint. I know the color that I really want and it is House of Kolor Kandy Brandy Wine. It's a beautiful metallic blood red with a bright red highlight. I don't want the fanciest paint job in the world, but I do want it to look nice. My concern now is the price of the paint. How expensive is HoK paint normally and how so compared to PPG or Dupont? I'd really appreciate some info!
Thanks!
-Kris Horton

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
I'm sure you may have been to this website, but here's the link anyway.
http://www.cararts.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=354814|1199043&PRID=140037
Hopefully, this will tell you everything about the price and info about the paint. From what I've been told, House of Kolor paints are more of a top coat paint, so be sure to get the proper base coat paint as well. These paints tend to be a bit high in price, but are worth it if you like the look. You may find it easier/cheaper to get a color swatch from House of Kolor and have your local paint supplier color match it...if possible. Hope this helps. I'm looking into using the House of Kolor Kameleon colors to blend together for a flame job. We'll see how that turns out. :cool:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
House of Kolor Kameleon colors
Dupont has the best reflectivity and shift in their Chromalusion line of specialty paints. House of Kolor is a good premium brand and is good paint, good finish when done correctly. Most are. PPG does make a low cost paint but I'd never recommend it. PPG does make some good premium paints but they make some cheap junk also. Try to stay away from that. Earl Schieb, Miracle and Maaco all use the really cheap brand of PPG in their low cost paint jobs. You know the 189.00 complete paint job. So steer away from those type of places.

I'd recommend looking through several brands and samples. I generally count on a good paint job costing me around $5,000.00 and up depending on the paint. That would include the door jambs and other parts that Earl Schieb never even get close to. If you pull the motor and have the engine bay detailed while your getting it done you could be looking at a lot more money. That is for a good paint job with a good finish.

So good luck hopefully you'll get just what you want and like and it will last a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Have not been on the forum for awhile.
You may have already gathered the info. needed on the paint.
But for what it is worth.

I have a '75 Camino all steel execpt for the Laguna front end and hood.
I used the House of Kolor paint on mine ten years ago. Candy apple red. As noted you need a base coat then lots of paint, the amount of paint determines the final color. I used both a silver and gold base to set the difference in a flame layout. The front half is a deep cherry and the back is a redish orange. The flames can only be seen while viewing straight on from the side.
House of Kolor is was laquer based paint when mine was painted. Not sure these days.
Over all the paint flows nice and gives good depth. But in order to achieve that it took 10 coats of color and 9 coats of clear. The Camino has a total of 32 coats of paint, primer to final clear.
In addition you should not use any type of colored bodyfiller or final filler such as nitrostan they will bleed through the paint. Red oxide primer will do the same. Primer should be white or grey and hardeners for fillers should also be white. Air pressure can also make big difference in the color.
Like a said for what it's worth.

Later Rich

P

·
0 Posts
House of Kolor Kandy

Kris I had mine done in House of Colors...came out sweet but its more money do to all the coats you may need. Mine started with 3 coats of Pearl Black then 4 coats of Kandy Purple followed by 4-5 coats of clear.
If you got the money to do it I'd go for it! Good luck with the elky 8)

Garry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Garry,
Your '75 looks great! Even in it present state(no front end). The paint is job is premo.
I would agree that is is alot of work but the final product is far supperior than what the factory colors have to offer.
Just looking at yours makes me want to get mine out of storage. But with three kids aint gonna happen.

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts