El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I want you all to know that I no longer have a vacuum leak! And I'm really sorry I took up your time asking for tips on what to fix. I checked this and that, rerouted vacuum lines, put in vacuum tees, and changed the location of where the vacuum lines plugged in. It turns out, of all things, that my carburetor was not machined flat on the bottom. Previously, I had been using a 3/10" thick gasket that sealed up great. Then, I put a 1" phenolic spacer on, which, due to hood clearance, couldn't use the thicker gasket and used regular paper gaskets. Well I sprayed around the intake and carb to see if I could identify leaks, but couldn't really get the spray to the back of the carb due to vacuum lines, distributor, plug wires, etc. I took the spacer off this morning, and both thin paper gaskets it came with were fuel-soaked all the way to the outer edges. There's my vacuum leak. I now have the thick gasket back on with no spacer, and the engine is happy at low-rpms. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
You learned something, we learned something.

You're good to go.

No apologies needed.:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
I'm living proof you can ask anything you want here.:nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
The people here have helped me a lot, in spite of my lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Whoooo FREAKING Hooooo! So glad you were able to track it down. Vacuum leaks can be like electrical gremlins, very hard to track down.

No apologies are needed. You didn't just ask for help and then ignore everything that came your way. You did your own homework and tried a ton of things on your end. That is how a forum is supposed to work, and why I enjoyed helping you. You were communicative and responsive. And now you know a TON about vacuum leaks! And I learned a lot trying to help you out, as well! Congrats man! WAY TO GO! :nanawrench::nanawrench:

Now... tell us how your engine likes manifold vacuum on your distributor's advance. That is the topic that we were talking about originally... isn't it?

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts