El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '82 Elky diagnoses keep pointing towards the ECM, so i'm ready to blow some more money and buy a remanufactured one. So my auto supply guy tells me I need the O.E No. or he can't help me. My ECM is already a reman, looks really old, and has no O.E. No. on it. The line where it's supposed to be is blank. So now what? He says his books show two possibilities, but he has to have that number. What do I do now?! I've heard of guys getting these from salvage yards and they work. Are the two that the parts guy has interchangeable?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The ECM from a wrecking yard will work if its a good ECM and if its the same year same engine and such.
The parts guy should be able to get the right ECM if you take. Yours in and they can look at it and pull the cover and look at the prom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECM Swap

The ECM from a wrecking yard will work if its a good ECM and if its the same year same engine and such.
The parts guy should be able to get the right ECM if you take. Yours in and they can look at it and pull the cover and look at the prom.
Thanks for the info. I looked up the part number on the one I have on several online stores and it's the one they all show for this vehicle. Dunno why he shows two different ones. He says it's the O.E. No. that matters.

I'll take the old one down and hope that this fixes the problems that keep changing every time I fix something! Now I'v got a code 42 that lights the light full-time. Never had that one before. Car runs great, although the MCS doesn't click when I turn on the ignition. Never has, actually, since I bought this Elky a few weeks ago. Clicks when I do a code read, but that's all.

I'm about to move to Nevada or Oregon just to get away from this insanity. I only need to convince my Lovely Bride! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts