El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 383 in the 74 Elco and now that I have some GO, I need some WHOA too.

I am familiar with the Blazer hub/rotor and Caprice 9C1 booster/master upgrades used on the later G Body cars and have done that on a Monty.

Is there something like that for the A Body that uses stock later model parts? Would it be possible to use the Blazer parts on the A Body? If not, what is an affordable upgrade that you can suggest? Not Looking to do a full 4 wheel disk brake set up, trying to keep disk/drum and just run two sets of long shoes on back with maybe a bigger wheel cylinder.

Currently running 15" wheels but will be getting 16" in the future, no bigger if I can help it.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Hello James,

Welcome aboard and I'm near you in Bossier City. On my 70, I upgraded to disks on the front from a 71 A-body and rebuilt my rear drums - it all stops very nicely, needed 15 inch wheels though. For you on the 74, you already have brakes that are at least as good as mine and I'm running a stock, relatively low horsepower 5.3 liter LS for an engine.

Somebody else will chime in here soon with better ideas than mine. However, with that 383, you might need something that only the aftermarket (Wilwood??) can support.

Rick

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have a 69 disc/drum that stops pretty good. I use Porterfield pads and shoes, they made a big difference, if you look for pads and shoes on there site, check under Chevelle and not el Camino....

I do plan on installing an adjustable proportion valve on the rear line and a stand alone metering valve on the front line..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping for something a bit less expensive than the big name brake companies but it looks like they may be my only option.
Guess I'll be saving up a little longer than I planned.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping for something a bit less expensive than the big name brake companies but it looks like they may be my only option.
Guess I'll be saving up a little longer than I planned.
Take a look at the Scarebird product. See https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=146

Less than $100 for the brackets. Then you need to find some Caddy Eldorado rear calipers and two brakes hoses. And, also two rotors and brake pads (Scarebird can recommend the proper rotors to use).

PS I used similar Scarebird brackets on the rear axle of my 1985 EC and I had to reduce the diameter of rear axle flanges. I believe I used 2000 S10 rotors (that is just a guess - I will have to get back to you after I check through my records).

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
The '76 & '77 Elcos & Malibus have 11 inch drums in the rear, which are quite a bit more effective for braking. The backing plates for those require pulling the axles to swap the backing plates. Pulling the axles isn't a big deal, and a good chance to check axle bearings etc..
There are kits available to go to the 11 inch brakes in the rear, but it would cost less it you could find the parts in a salvage yard, or someone who is parting out a '76/'77....

·
Registered
774 Posts
My '74 had the 11" drums from the factory. I hear of people using slotted rotors up front, but I never have. I know plenty of people with more power than you've added, using stock setup with no issues. It's not what you have, it's when, where, and how to use it. My humble two cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not sure which size brakes I have on the rear, I have not checked yet. 9'" and 11" are showing as options at the parts house. I know it has a 12 bolt with 3.73 gears, but I don't know if it is original or not. Hopefully it already has the bigger brakes. If not I can change them to the 11".

I will check into some aftermarket pads and rotors and see if they will help.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,567 Posts
Your Camino should have 11 inch front rotors, as opposed to 12 inch on the full size GM cars of that era. However, the caliper piston size is identical at 2.9 inches, so nothing to be gained there. Going to a performance rotor and pad may be all that you need. I guess it may be possible to swap to a spindle and rotor from a full-size car, such as Impala, Buick or Oldsmobile, but that would take some more research.

Bill

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Check out Porterfield pads and shoes. When looking them up, use "Chevelle" instead of "el Camino" in the search engine....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your Camino should have 11 inch front rotors, as opposed to 12 inch on the full size GM cars of that era. However, the caliper piston size is identical at 2.9 inches, so nothing to be gained there. Going to a performance rotor and pad may be all that you need. I guess it may be possible to swap to a spindle and rotor from a full-size car, such as Impala, Buick or Oldsmobile, but that would take some more research.

Bill

The larger rotor alone will help, even if it is the same size caliper piston.
That will give a better mechanical advantage to aid in stopping so it will reduce pedal effort some, plus the larger surface area will better dissipate heat helping to prevent fade.

I know some people have used that set up on the 72 and older cars to convert to disk, but I don't know what the difference is in the spindle/knuckle and if it would require special ball joints or tie rod ends. I also don't know if it will change any suspension/steering geometry on the 74 like it does on the 72 and older cars.

Seems most information out there is for the older (72 back) and newer (G-body) cars, I can't seem to find a lot about the mid 70's cars when it comes to this type of modification.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts