El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just wondering if, and how many, F*** Rancheros are owned by ECC members?
I never owned one but I did drive a couple 57's. They were also rustbuckets. I never did like the 272/292/312 Y block motors. I thought the 57 was a nice looking cruck.

If you own both please offer a thumbnail comparison. Thanks!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I saw one in the last couple of years.:dontknow:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dads friend had a Ranchero and that is what got me started on crucks. I think I made the better decision buying and El Camino though. :beer:

·
Registered
572 Posts
My ex wife had a 71 ranchero,which matched the 71 torino i owned,i loved the ranchero,the only negatives,were, the power assisted steering,way too vague in my opinion,and the leaf sprung rear,nothing like the ride of a el camino.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i saw one today actually. it looked super clean with an older guy driving it. i had to ask him about it, just because it was so clean, he was the origional owner of his 68 ranchero, and had it restored, through and through 8 years ago. it must have been kept under a cover or in a garage since then it was immaculate.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There is a guy here in San Antonio with 2 El Caminos and a 65 Ranchero which has been in his family for years. Since he usually drives his '59 Camino to events, I have never seen the Ranchero but I know he is quite fond of it. If you do a search on the forum, you can find the post where he (Bryan59EC) talks about how he acquired the vehicle & some of the history.
Am betting you will hear from Bryan shortly.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Almost bought a '69 and there's a 70 Ranchero Squire in town I wouldn't mind having. Also missed out on a 1st gen Edsel conversion and Scamp GT. Scamp GT was rare to begin with let alone now. I wouldn't mind a 1st gen especially Edsel conversion, a Merc or Linc conversion especially a Breezeway, 70-72 especially 72 (love the grill), or maybe even a 2nd gen with Comet front clip.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i liked the ranchero GTs, the ones that looked like early gran torinos. i liked those cars.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
I know Bryan59EC and I can tell you guys he has issued a challenge on the Ranchero website
to meet in Aug here in Central Texas with us Elky nuts.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Are there any "Ranchero owners

So far, it looks like the answer is NO!!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Okay----here I am
(just got home from North Carolina)

Yeppers----VERY proud owner of a 65 Ranchero

My Uncle bought it new and installed a set of Torque Thrusts on that very week
Little car left the factory with a High Performance 289 and a 4-spd.

Saddened to say tho---I blew a head gasket in it a couple of months ago and am looking to
put a later model 5.0HO in it just for sport and amusement.

I kinda want to have it repainted, but doing that will remove all of the character of the little car.
This thing survived almost 50 years of daily transportation for my uncle, and I have some fond memories of riding around with him in this car as a young boy----when the car was new.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I really think you repair the original engine and leave the paint alone. Survivors are special and should be preserved when possible.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Bryan NEVER repaint it. The little car will lose it's soul.
You know the old saying. It's only original once.
I would be proud to have it parked next to my Primer Donna. (Inside joke for us Texans)
Hope to see ya in Aug.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I saw this one the other day in Moore OK there are a few around I think I would like to have one but haven't been looking very hard

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brian, that thang is sweet. Nice having the hot motof and 4 speeder.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts