El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start to rebuild a 350 Chevy over the next few weeks, going to buy a used 010 block with standard crank and rods (will get it bored if needed ) and build up from there, Im looking to spend $2500-$3000 max, will be using the vehicle for street driving only and would ideally like about 300/350hp. Are there any websites/webpages that offer build sheets/lists of what combination of parts people have used and what can be expected from said parts ? Ive searched this site but can only find info on actually rebuilding.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
200 Posts
I'm going to start to rebuild a 350 Chevy over the next few weeks, going to buy a used 010 block with standard crank and rods (will get it bored if needed ) and build up from there, Im looking to spend $2500-$3000 max, will be using the vehicle for street driving only and would ideally like about 300/350hp. Are there any websites/webpages that offer build sheets/lists of what combination of parts people have used and what can be expected from said parts ? Ive searched this site but can only find info on actually rebuilding.
Thanks
Well, if you are buying used, hopefully you will do a complete teardown and inspection of the bottom end. If you've had experience building engines and have the necessary tools, you will save on the labor but, imho, you'll be better off to work with a local and reputable machine shop for the more specialized procedures and tools. Magnafluxing, micing crank journals, sizing rods, gapping rings to cylinders, line boring and honing, decking, etc. You never know what they may have laying around that is for sale. Maybe a short block that a customer never picked up?
As far as online shops, I tend to stay away from the "big two" for engine building.
I have had a very good experience with Speedway Motors. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Give them a call, tell them your plans and go on your gut feeling...
Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if you are buying used, hopefully you will do a complete teardown and inspection of the bottom end. If you've had experience building engines and have the necessary tools, you will save on the labor but, imho, you'll be better off to work with a local and reputable machine shop for the more specialized procedures and tools. Magnafluxing, micing crank journals, sizing rods, gapping rings to cylinders, line boring and honing, decking, etc. You never know what they may have laying around that is for sale. Maybe a short block that a customer never picked up?
As far as online shops, I tend to stay away from the "big two" for engine building.
I have had a very good experience with Speedway Motors. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Give them a call, tell them your plans and go on your gut feeling...
Hope this helps,
John
Thanks for the reply , John.
I think you've maybe misread what i was wanting. I for sure will be using a machine shop for any boring, grinding etc and will have them do whatever is needed to make the block, crank, journals etc correct before staring a build up from from the block. What iw as asking was if there are any type of build sheets of certain parts ( heads, cams, Pistons, rockers etc ) that work best together to be able to get the most out of the engine. Say if i have certain heads and pistons what cam would work best with it etc or if i have X to spend and want X hp what would be the best components to get.

thanks

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
200 Posts
Thanks for the reply , John.
I think you've maybe misread what i was wanting. I for sure will be using a machine shop for any boring, grinding etc and will have them do whatever is needed to make the block, crank, journals etc correct before staring a build up from from the block. What iw as asking was if there are any type of build sheets of certain parts ( heads, cams, Pistons, rockers etc ) that work best together to be able to get the most out of the engine. Say if i have certain heads and pistons what cam would work best with it etc or if i have X to spend and want X hp what would be the best components to get.

thanks
Sorry, my bad. I do not know of any "cookie cutter" reference build sheets but the folks at Competition Cams are really good at tailoring top end/valvetrain components to your particular bottom end, transmission, rear end and desired driving characteristics. After a detailed phone conversation, they can send you a recommended parts combo via email.

Reactions: Sgunz

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,256 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts