El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a hot summers night, and I am missing an old friend.

In my younger days, I would pop the top and we would make a late night run for small ice cream sundaes.

The heavy stuff, like bumpers, radios, grills, heater and emblems stayed on the shelves in the garage. The big blocks would wave, understanding that light weight was a replacement for displacement. They also were not sure what resided under the scooped hood. The car had previously run a 427 at the 1/4 mile. It then held a Keith Black 69 302+ dizzy that could rev and go.

As I look back today, I know it is gone; just like my youth.
Sundaes are gone too, replaced by Metformin and Januvia.

How I miss the cool down runs on hot summer nights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Show us "your" favorite old friend.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..wow,.. where do I start. well I guess the love of my life was a 1974 GMC Camper special with a 454 and dual tanks that hold 22 gallons each. went over seas and came back to a country song, my truck gone, my dog is gone and my wife gone.so, as I finish out my time,in the service, got a job as a tow truck driver for a body shop,now, that was fun. meet my second love, a 1974 chevelle with a small block 400,and that thing would run great.let someone borrow it and wrap it around a pole.sad day for me.so, after about 20 something year, I finally got both of my true love back,but in a form of a el camino,yep,guess the year..1974..for some reason, i'm stuck in the 70's. :rockon::cali:

.. the 74's..

...:cool2::cali:

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Now that's what this forum should be all about, bringing out the classics even if it's just a past photo. Thanks for sharing, lov that stuff

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's mine; still occupies the preferred spot in the garage, although a little jealous of the attention the El Camino has gotten over the last year.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Brings back some memories. Thanks for sharing them with us. I don't have pics of my former great vehicles 1st was a 1960 Chevy Impala 4dr hardtop lt blue and white, lots of chrome every time I see a 59 or 60 Elco makes me think of that 1st one. Next great one was a 1970 Pontiac Gran Prix 455 dual snorkel air cleaner flip the top and make some noise tinker with the Qjet and it would scoot. Lots of tickets and lots of fun with that one. 1979 Chev El Camino took out the 305 and put in a mild rebuilt 400 small block, That would set you back in the seat when I romped on it. (was a police officer then and didn't get any tickets with that one) sad day when I traded it in for a 4dr family car when the family grew. Content with the GMC Caballero that I have now. I keep looking through the craigslist for a 4th gen though. The search continues.:banana:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Easy answer. My '57 Bel Air hard top. There have been others, but that one has the most special memories. Kept it at my grandfather's, and did tons of work to it in his driveway. He would bring down a chair, radio, and cup of coffee, and just watch me work and occasionally ask questions. What I wouldn't give to bring either or both back, especially my grandfather! Thank you for stirring up the memories! Those are the things that truly matter, not politics, or any other things that life throws us to try to trick us into forgetting.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
A few actually:

my 1972 camaro sport coupe

others include my C4 - big block monte carlo, and even to a certain degree my z-28 camaro (which was horridly slow but cornered with ferocity)

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,722 Posts
YES!!

My first El Camino looked like this (This isn't mine). Bought new with 327 300 HP, 4 speed - no power anything. I drove it a couple of years and traded it on a Camaro in Tacoma WA.

I've been looking for another one for many years and, have had others (69, 72, 83) in the interim. Bought another 65 "project" 3 years ago and have been slowly turning it into a modernized replica of the first one - LS2, 4L70E, Disk Brakes, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital etc etc. It's been ready for paint for a while but, it's too darn hot to paint. So, it probably won't get painted until October. It runs and has passed instection but, still lots of things to do before it's "finished".

·
Registered
86 Posts
I me the love of my life at the ripe young age of 1. Little did I know she'd never leave my side. There are times in life when we don't really appreciate things but in this case, has always been a relationship of love. Carted off taking me to school, and then actually going to class with me (Auto shop 101, 201, & vocational). She now was all mine! Taking me to high school graduation and then to work everyday for about 10 years.

Cruise nights, street races, football games. and picking up the chicks. Now that she's just completed a full overhaul (Engine, drivetrain, brakes, and rearend) she's going to have a beauty makeover. She'll be smoking hot again in no time. Nowadays, we just hang out and reminisce but with the open road ahead, there's plenty more memories to be made.

Thanks for the memories.......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
844 Posts
I me the love of my life at the ripe young age of 1. Little did I know she'd never leave my side. There are times in life when we don't really appreciate things but in this case, has always been a relationship of love. Carted off taking me to school, and then actually going to class with me (Auto shop 101, 201, & vocational). She now was all mine! Taking me to high school graduation and then to work everyday for about 10 years.

Cruise nights, street races, football games. and picking up the chicks. Now that she's just completed a full overhaul (Engine, drivetrain, brakes, and rearend) she's going to have a beauty makeover. She'll be smoking hot again in no time. Nowadays, we just hang out and reminisce but with the open road ahead, there's plenty more memories to be made.

Thanks for the memories.......https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180726/7b2c629fee507b74b5dcb646755969d8.jpg

You dirty dog you! lov since age of 1. That's worse than Jerry Lee himself!!! Ok, really. Has this L been in the family since it first rolled off the lot?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm driving

I'm driving my lov (not including my wife who comes in first) but my fastest lov was this vet. This thing had a built SB, shift kit etc. It was a love to drive.
For anyone who ever wondered what black painted rally wheels look like, I actually thought it was a bad idea/mistake but I liked them better once done for some reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
You dirty dog you! lov since age of 1. That's worse than Jerry Lee himself!!! Ok, really. Has this L been in the family since it first rolled off the lot?
True story. My Father purchased it from a dealership in Southern California and other than for family trips, it has never left the state. She was given to me when I turned 16 and in high school. She has been garaged for the last 28 years with only weekend use. Till death do us part.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm driving my lov (not including my wife who comes in first) but my fastest lov was this vet. This thing had a built SB, shift kit etc. It was a love to drive.
For anyone who ever wondered what black painted rally wheels look like, I actually thought it was a bad idea/mistake but I liked them better once done for some reason.
She's a beauty......

·
Registered
844 Posts
True story. My Father purchased it from a dealership in Southern California and other than for family trips, it has never left the state. She was given to me when I turned 16 and in high school. She has been garaged for the last 28 years with only weekend use. Till death do us part.

Well then, I say that never ever ever leaves the family. I also say I'd do anything in my power to restore that to darn near 100%. It's easy for me to say. The story itself is outstanding. We need to see some photos in that garage of yours! Can't believe you had it at age 16... it would be gone if I had it at 16. I had to steal my dads car when I was 16. Now that I think about it, I've been working full time since I was 16 to pay for those cars he had

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's a hot summers night, and I am missing an old friend.

In my younger days, I would pop the top and we would make a late night run for small ice cream sundaes.

The heavy stuff, like bumpers, radios, grills, heater and emblems stayed on the shelves in the garage. The big blocks would wave, understanding that light weight was a replacement for displacement. They also were not sure what resided under the scooped hood. The car had previously run a 427 at the 1/4 mile. It then held a Keith Black 69 302+ dizzy that could rev and go.

As I look back today, I know it is gone; just like my youth.
Sundaes are gone too, replaced by Metformin and Januvia.

How I miss the cool down runs on hot summer nights.
Actually this thread should be kept going and going. One of the other sites has their largest thread which is postings of photos and photos of past days and the vehicles. To me seeing the old photos is the best!! Heck, would make a nice calendar to see everyones ole ride photos and what the ride is now. Regardless, post those old photos

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well then, I say that never ever ever leaves the family. I also say I'd do anything in my power to restore that to darn near 100%. It's easy for me to say. The story itself is outstanding. We need to see some photos in that garage of yours! Can't believe you had it at age 16... it would be gone if I had it at 16. I had to steal my dads car when I was 16. Now that I think about it, I've been working full time since I was 16 to pay for those cars he had
I'll be sure to post some progress pics!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts