El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Missing an old friend

Sorry for the long story, I just couldn’t resist ... My Dad gave me his 1958 Ford 4 door sedan when I was 17 so I didn’t have to ride my 305 Honda motorcycle, or walk the 1 1/2 miles to school in the rain. I drove that 292 three on the tree all over my hometown from 1967 to 1970 until the crank literally fell out. After I installed a 390 from a T-Bird, it got totaled, so I worked after school and summers, and saved enough to buy another car.

This was the first car I bought with money earned. It had low miles, (bought it from a little old lady) was clean, and had a 389 with a 4bbl. I immediately took it to the local body shop to get a few door dings removed. They had it for a month, took a grinder to it and removed the style lines, roughed in some bondo - and sadly, I drove it like this without bumpers for 3 years! '64 GP.jpg

In 1978 my girlfriend’s next-door-neighbor was a body & paint guy that couldn’t stand looking at it, (I still see him shaking his head) and offered to correct the “hack job” and paint it for free. It was arrow straight, the paint looked like glass, and I got noticed everywhere I drove it.
GP 4 pics.jpg
I loved cruising in that over - chromed big boat, and actually got my first speeding ticket in it on the way to Las Vegas - The CHP clocked me crossing the desert at 110 mph - (I was actually decelerating) but wrote the ticket for 80 in a 70. Good times!
Man I miss that car, it’s the only one I have pics of, and it's the one I wish I still had today.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Now THAT'S cool!!
Thanks,
My '64 Pontiac GP was an awesome car inside and out, but I sold it soon after the paint was done. I tinkered with a '63 F-100 with a Chevy 283 & Powerglide for a while, and not wanting another full size truck in '82, bought my El Camino to pull my project ski-boat.
I had many chances to buy some cool hot-rods, but I just could not sell the Elco ...
I am sure everybody has an interesting back story & old pics- LET'S SEE SOME MORE!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
1st car

My dad was an outside salesman.. every 3 yrs he got a new company car. he always had the option to buy the old car.. rather than trade it in. in 1972.. he was up for a new car, I was 13 at the time. Thinking ahead.. dad let me choose whatever car I wanted him to drive. I was unaware that it would eventually become my 1st car. I read a lot of car magazines.. popular Mechanics and such and became real fond if the 1970-71 Torino. So when the newly styled 1972 Gran Torino was debuted .. on my birthday.. Sept. 15th.. that was the car I chose. A 1972 Gran Torino Sport. Usually.. dad was only permitted to get a 4dr car but he explained to his boss what the plan was. I chose the Q code 351CJ.. 4spd with bucket seats. when I turned 16, my dad told me to go put my motorcycle in the garage for the night.. when I opened the garage door.. the Torino was backed in with a big bow on top and Happy birthday written on the window. it had 90k miles on it.. new clutch, tires and freshly detailed. I loved that car. the best part is that dad made me work for it. So when I had earned $350.. he sold it to me. I drove the wheel off that car! we had a house fire and all photos were lost but the one pictured is just like mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's a hot summers night, and I am missing an old friend.

In my younger days, I would pop the top and we would make a late night run for small ice cream sundaes.

How I miss the cool down runs on hot summer nights.
LOVE the stance on the ol' girl! Sexy machine for sure. :borgsmile:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've got more than a couple I miss. No pictures though, I was terrible about this stuff when I was younger, and still not very good at keeping pictures.

I built a '77 Monte when I was fresh out of High School in the late '80's. Rolled that odometer over 3 times after I got it, best 305 I can remember.

1968 Torino GT with a 351 Cleveland, miss it a lot!

The one I miss the most though, the "Draggin' Wagon" (this one was a Dodge Aspen wagon with a 3 on the floor and a slant 6). Primarily I miss this one because it was an integral part of the memories involved with the first girl I loved. AND, it wouldn't die! :banana:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts