El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was messing around with my buddy and his firebird,blew the rearend to hell shifting into drive 8O drove it about 3 miles,it would clank iif you coasted,i came around a sharp corner,felt like the rearend was coming out from under the truck,doing about 45,it locked up,damn near made the car do a 180,i wasnt expecting that :cry: anyways i limped it home,rocked it in reverse and coasted down the hill put it in drive,it would move under its own power ,kept it at like 15 mph all the way home!!!

so i need a rearend badly! i have a 76 sprint,you got something that will work lemme know

or 1976 SPRINT SP FOR SALE!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The rear in a 76 a-body should be an 8.5 10bolt- Those are pretty strong- almost as good as a 12bolt. It would be worth it to rebuilt what you have. Might want to verify that is what it is- but I'm pretty sure they came with 8.5s.

Also not many other rear housings swap straight into a 4th Gen elky without mods.

I was gonna suggest this in one of your other posts, but forgot- i guess now is a good time- You might want to hook up with the local chevelle/elcamino club-

http://www.chevelles.net/oregon

they are a HUGE club- and have members pretty much all over oregon, and probably have some member discounts at a rear end shop down there.

Check out their website, and give either Lee Anderson, or Gene Bolante a call- they both are well connected down there and should know a shop that can hook you up.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'm sorry, and this isn't a positive comment, but when I first saw the subject title of this post, the first thing that came to mind was "Where did you place that stick of dynamite?" Anyway you would probably be better off to rebuild the rear and use something like an Eaton posi unit, or you could look for something cheaper in a boneyard, but they are getting hard to find. Isn't there a link on ECCs' site for a salvage yard for Elky parts? Yeah, check the links page under El Camino retailers..."Camino parts" they're in California, shouldn't cost too much to ship a third member to your location.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trash the rear end. It's not worth the money and time to clean it out and fix it. They are easy to come by in the midwest.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i would just scope out the local junkyard for a replacement rear end. i might be going out on a limb a little but wouldnt one from an a-body from that era work also? :huh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mecheng said:
Trash the rear end. It's not worth the money and time to clean it out and fix it. They are easy to come by in the midwest.
eh,im not in the midwest though

im just gonna sell this thing :cry:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
87SS said:
76sprint82TA said:
im just gonna sell this thing :cry:
Can I have the BB cheap? :D
yup 2 grand its yours,even comes with a 76 sprint SP :-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts