El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but looks like it might fit? :dontknow:

I am going to buy an Assembly Manual for my '72 SS and want to get some opinions on whether or not to get it on CD or go the classic route of it on paper?

I have weighed the pros and cons myself, but want to hear from some of you who have either or better yet, done both!

Paper is a little cheaper but then it wears and gets dirty. On the other hand, I have to have my PC/Laptop available to use the CD version, then print the specific pages I need.

Let me know your opinions.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If the CD is indexed, in other words you can search for a specific phrase, CD all the way.

On the other hand, if the CD just a collection of image files and isn't searchable, the only advantage is you don't have to worry about messing up a paper copy.

Personally, I don't do paper. All my manuals are electronic, even if I have to convert them myself. I like the fact that I can print out the pages I need, take them with me, and if they get dirty or torn ... no problem. Plus you can have a couple of page right there with you while you are working the problem and not have to deal with a four inch thick book that keeps flipping closed.

Your mileage may vary.

Copper

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I prefer paper. It's really simple. Either wash your hands before turning the pages or wear latex/nitrile gloves and take them off before looking in the book.
CD's get scratched and become useless. Yeah, I guess you could burn a few a copies to be safe.
One day CD's will become obsolete like 8 tracks, cassettes, floppy disks,....etc. Then what? Buy hardware to convert it to the next thing? Books last forever if handled right.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
CD's get scratched and become useless. Yeah, I guess you could burn a few a copies to be safe.
One day CD's will become obsolete like 8 tracks, cassettes, floppy disks,....etc. Then what? Buy hardware to convert it to the next thing?

Valid points. What I didn't say in my original response is I image my CD's to the computer to avoid the problems listed above. Right now doing that requires a piece of software, but beginning with Windows 8, CD & DVD images will have native support.

Copper

·
Registered
388 Posts
ICD's get scratched and become useless. Yeah, I guess you could burn a few a copies to be safe.
You could always copy it to a thumb drive or memory card. I've yet to have either of those fail.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The only problem I've ever had with thumb drives is that they've gotten so small that they're easy to lose.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
OK Guys I might be telling my age here but I have the manual on my work bench.
Very well worn but I like the feel of paper besides when it comes to 'puters I'm all thumbs.:beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts