El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about radios other than listening to them. I have a restored 66 that has the original am radio but not installed. Would like to update the radio and heard good things about the Retrosound radio as I want it to fit the original hole with a modern radio. What I don't have a clue about is what/how about audio systems. I don't want to use my floor vents as I don’t have AC and need them to stay somewhat cool. My doors are restored with very nice upholstery so I don't really want to tear into them. So my only choice is to place the speakers behind the seat. Any suggestions on what type of speakers and setup to recommend for this within a budget of $500 (to include the radio) that would produce decent sound quality?
Like I said earlier I KNOW nothing about radios, speakers, and sounds so your help is much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Like you I wasnt wanting to cut up the original dash, door panels or kick panels in my 69.

I built a console to hold an Alpine head unit and built a board behind the seat to hold amps, speakers and subs. A little more than $500 but sounds good and the subs punch you in the kidneys.

Heres a link to pics of it and if you go to the dropdown 'console" you will see what I did there.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23778705

In the 64 I put in a new repop dash and just cut it to fit the same model Alpine deck as the 69. A previous owner built a nice wall behind the seat that had a pair of Pioneer 6x9s so I just added another set of speakers and a small alpine amp. no subs in the 64. Also no pics of that yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply as that gives me some ideas. What type of speakers, how many of each, what size etc.. would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
In the 69 I have 2 Infinity Kappa 6x9s and 2 10" subs. Sounds better than great.

Pushing about 1200 watts.

In the 64 it came with 2 6x9 Pioneers, and I added 2 Infinity Kappa 6 1/2s. Sounds very good with small Alpine amp. about 200 watts.

I highly recommend Infinity speakers. I got everything from crutchfield. A little more expensive but not bad and customer support is great.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Ok heres a couple pics of whats in Ginger, the 64.

PS to Donny, no it aint pink, the flash made the 1st pick look that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
And just for kicks, heres Benny.

Attachments

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Sean, the dash looks super. Did you have to make major cuts to get the radio in? I am also curious if the correct bezel and mounting strap solved the fitment in the dash? Congrats on your progress!:beer:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
James, thanks and yes I had to chop a good sized hole in it to make the stereo fit but its a repop so....

And this one fits better than the 65 bezel did. Didnt use the strap though, couldnt figure out where it went. Also replaced all bulbs while it was out just because.:secret:

Now I just need to figure out where to get a dash a/c vent. No one seems to sell them and the places like vintage and old air vents arent quite the same size.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
That strap is supposed to run along the top between metal and bezel. Check the screw alignment. Maybe you don't need it.:dontknow:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts