El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It is frustrating trying to sell cars for sure. The amount of people who love EARLE is mind boggling, but I bet not one would be prepared to lay down the cash. When I had the Transmission rebuilt at Western Automatics I left EARLE there for a couple of months and the owner reckoned on average someone would ask if it was for sale about every week.

On the black 5th gen on the Calder, no idea unfortunately. I went to the All American day at Flemington in 2007 and there were only three El Caminos on display, two 5th gens and a 3rd gen. I know the owner of the 5th gen with the '51 Studebaker front end - not my cup of tea - which gets to a few shows.

I hear there are lots of El Caminos around but never see any.

Good luck with the '71.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cheers John

Will drop the price in a few weeks on fast 71 and see if that changes the story?

Getting further along with getting mine on the road but slight set back last night.
Had an auto elec here for about 10 hours yesterday....
Fixed the indicators to work from reversing light locations (also to act as reversing lights)

Fixed the heater so it blows warm air to the windscreen ( not much else... need to get my head around all this vacuum stuff and think what I am going to do with the A/C )

Fixed tacho and volt meter and oil pressure gauges that were not working.

and a couple of bad earth on front indicators.

But while all this was going on the key seized in the barrel and would not budge, he helped pull the column apart and remove the barrel but now I need to try and get this one fixed or order one from the states.

Have a bit of stuff I ordered from the Elcaminostore on its way not sure how long that is going to take? postage was a killer $280 USD

Also wheels from the states ( 87Elcamino gave me some advice that I ignored - young and stupid i claim ) that should be here in how long I do not know.

Once I have that and the key fixed it is off to get some final things for roadworthy and then ................. for the engineering cert..
and then rego..

All sounds simple

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Adam, fun isn't it? :roll:

Ah the vacuum controlled air & heater trapdoors. I worked on those for a while, but I had the whole assembly on the bench which I dismantled and rebuilt with new foam. I needed a vacuum pod for the door/vane to direct air to the screen. Got my original rebuilt locally for an arm and a leg. I needed the recirculate vacuum pod controller and got that from a member here on ECC who sells secondhand parts for about a 10th of the cost of getting the other repaired.

The El Camino Store usually uses a shipping company called BAX. I would expect that your package with take about 2 weeks, maybe less. They seem to be very efficient.

I am off work taking a sanity break this week (the result of extreme pressure and huge hours just about broke me), so my therapy is working on EARLE.

I am installing a sound system which I got from evilBay. Has a TV and all the usual latest stuff and hopefully will be in and working today. I searched for ages trying to get accessory power, then I read the owner's manual and discovered that the ignition switch is exactly the same as my old WB Ute, ie. you turn it back from the lock position to get accessories, only problem was no amount of pushing and shoving would allow it to turn back. I pulled the steering wheel off and disassembled the top of the column to get the barrel out. It was so worn that it was sunk too far into the column not allowing you to press the lock in to allow it to turn back to accessories. I fortunately had a suitable plastic ring which spaced it so it now operates like it should.

I also found the indicator assembly was cracked which explains why it was hard to select the RH indicators. I bodged up a repair for that too.

I reckon your Auto Elect charge would be nasty after that many hours :shocked:

I see you have the 71 in Unique Cars. It sounds sooo bloody good. It is frustrating trying to get to the person who would jump at the opportunity to buy such a top ride like that.

Once again good luck with the selling and of course the "rebirth" of your 78.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great to hear you are getting a break, that was me last week with taking Friday and Monday off due to full on work commitments driving me insane.

Elcaminostore stuff arrived about half and hour ago..
so more time in the shed for the next week..
only thing that they did not have in stock was window felts, trying to track them down from ebay now.

The ignition barrel is at the local locksmith and he should... have it finished today.

Stereo went in last week for me, nightmare was finding a place for the speakers.. but for a short term solution I covered a board with material and stuck speakers and amp to that behind the seats. could become perm if i can cover the rest ( mine rear curtain was missing from day one)

Auto Elec charge was $50 an hour so fairly happy with that, he sorted out a few things I could not ( like the indicators ) and did not mind he hanging over his shoulder

How is EARLE driving at the moment

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well a little set back.. was meant to be at mechanic's for some final works and then road worthy this week

But got a little too smart for my boots after getting the steering column back together on the third attempt ( what a mission that was). I tried tackling the rear break hose but have managed to twist the pipe.....

So working out how to get it fixed not sure if I can have it cut and another flange put on it? as it is only the last 4 mm or do I have to have another line made up. also can someone do it on site.

Before this happened I managed to change both rear wheel cylinders, another job that was not to easy with the little hold on clips that they use..

Well At least my wheels will be here now when i take it for the roadworthy?

How is your Radio/tv install going John
Mine is a little rough but needs a bit of work before I mount properly.
I am still looking for a place for the second screen.
Also need a new bezel as mine has been modified from old style radio and been cracked.
JVC head unit with blue tooth, reversing camera, touch screen (no buttons)

An old amp and some splits I picked up cheap from JB hifi (wires still need a bit of tidy up and working on rear curtain this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Apologies for the delay in responding. I sometimes quickly read a post and think I must get back to that and forget.

I hope you have found a solution to the brake line. I guess someone could do it on site but where you live might present less options that me here in the 'burbs. I had a similar issue where I rounded off the nut and just couldn't break the thread lock on one of my front hoses. It was still drivable so I took it to my friendly ABS and let them gouge me on the price to fix it.

I am reasonably happy with the cheapy sound system I have installed. I still need to come up with a satisfactory solution for the rear speakers which are in boxes floating around on the back floor. Got my TV antenna delivered last Friday (from eBay) and need to tackle that install one of these days. Your system is much more upmarket than mine mate.

I assume your wheels have arrived at home? I am looking forward to seeing pics of those when they are on.

Cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
No wheels (maybe Monday or Tuesday) and the car is still laid up due to the brake hose issue.
Local mechanic drop by for a look and said cut off the break line bring it up and I will join it all back together with a joiner. Now he said funny size another 3 or 4 days to get a joiner... still waiting.

Mate I just want to get this on the road, sold three cars this month and Now I am left with borrowing the wife if I need to go anywhere...
Fast 71 is still not even got an offer well 11k and 15k
would kill me to let it go for that, so I guess I hold onto it and try to explain to my brother and sister...
well hope your is driving well
Will post some pictures soon hopefully
cheers Adam

·
Registered
73 Posts
What to say hey!!
Noooo post for how long and the fricken thing is still not on the road....

dramas abound..

although it is in my shed with just a trip back to pedders before the Road Worthy and then off to the engineers for round 11 of this heavy weight title fight, when I am really feeling like not getting back up again after the last knock down.

On LPG now which was relatively painless.
I have plates now

so what did I say a month or more ago just a few more weeks now.

One day I will have this thing on the road.

PS Fast71 (blown 454) still for sale but does not want to be sold had a looker today and it would not start when he arrived even though I had warmed it up and then broke down on the test drive.... offered 19..

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Adam, it is a labour of love isn't it? :lol:

I may have said before but when I bought EARLE I reckoned 2 months & 6K would do it. Hahahahahahahahaha.

14 months and let's not talk about the cash :cry:

Good to see you are reducing that list of things to do and see some light at the end of the tunnel (let's hope no-one extends the length of the tunnel eh?)

Tough luck on FAST 71. Bloody Murphy's law.

BTW good to see you dropping back in :-D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hijacked post back on track, thanks for your tolerance John

LKMENO is now on the road

1978 ss black knight imported in 1999 sitting since then took a bit of work to get on the road but was not as hard as it could have been in the end

List of stuff for roadworthy[\U] (only mechanical issues really no other mods for being American )

-Amber lenses ok
-exhaust exit on side after rear wheels ok
-Chrome steering wheel ok
-17 inch rims ok
LHD ok (over 30 year rule)
other glassed ok as marked with correct info

-Asked to fix oil leak, trans leak, PS leak- get washers working replace big crack in windscreeen, replace some break hoses and bushes, uni joint and ball joints tie rod ends

-List of items for Engineer

-Amber reversing lights ok ( no need for extra ADR reversing lights as I had auto elec make indicators as reversing )
-Emissions ERG set up( not required LPG fitted)
-head lights dip left ( easy )
-New seat belts ( 170 buck autobahn fitted my self)
-noise test - weigh bridge

Sailed through VASS check as he only really checked items he highlighted on fist visit - and then checked ADR info on seat belts and what the brake light showed up as when handbrake was actuated, the rest of the time I sat in office with him while he asked questions and I answer from my extensive knowledge of the car

ahh yes .. yes hmm yes it has that.. yes i think so .. lol

biggest worry was when he asked about locking seats as my 60/40 bench folds forward but i see no way of locking it in place? ... ahh yes was my stock response by then.

did not check so happy (or lucky)

all up $750 although his receipt shows a 300 insurance levy, so his slice is 450 ? about 100 bucks an hour, not to bad I suppose.

Other work was to put on LPG (read propane) for 2200 ( only 200 - rebate) and a new Cam as it was not running very well and after the 4th mechanic who could get of his ar5e and even looked at it picked it straight away and replaced it all up for 800. showed me when he had it in bit and 2 of the egg shaped were round.. 8O

So all up LKMENO cost me 3 grand and have spent another 6 on it to get it on the road.

Future plans ( well next week hopefully) is a 3.42 rear end ( non posi at the moment ) and next month a th 700 conversion as I am thinking the 3.42 is going to eat through the fuel even though it is on gas

cheers for your help and advice John, now just to sit back and enjoy and think of how much a paint job is going to set me back...

Adam

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Congratulations Adam. It is satisfying when you get through the collective challenge of getting them registered.

My VASS cost $650 + gst, so a total of $715. Their invoice/receipt didn't have any breakdown but I thought to myself "that is not bad money for about 2+ hours work. :cry:

I'll watch out for you on the highway :p

21 - 31 of 31 Posts