El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
I'm at Davyhurst 140Ks north of Kalgoorlie. I'm a workshop supervisor for Emeco. We'll have to catch up but I go back to work on Tuesday.http://www.elcaminostore.com/photogallery/images/59-60/full/PURPLE-59-EL-CAMINO.jpg[/img]

Hi fellow downunderians (is that a word)...
Anyway, I thought I would post on the Australian site...
I will be getting my car vinned soon, but at the moment, it has 2 non standard bucket seats bolted to the floor in it, so, as you can imagine it will not pass compliance.
I'm having trouble sourcing a seat...I've advertised here in NZ, and am keeping my ear to the ground, but no joy as yet, anything you know of over the ditch? I will consider anything suitable eg...Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac (that would be good cos of some options having power seats)..any other thoughts or years, that would suffice, could you reply please. Thanks. Maree

Hi Maree,
Gee thats pretty tough. Here in Australia you can have any seats you like as long as they're bolted in properly and don't interfere with the operation of the vehicle. I will ask around about a seat for you. I have a lot of friends that have U.S. cars and a lot of them have parts cars. Have you tried looking on EBay? I find lots of good stuff on EBay all the time. I will let you know if I come up with something.
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve.
First off, you have a lovely wagon, I saw the pics in the member's album....
The rules here are probably pretty similar to yours, I can use any seat I think as long as it is in properly. The seats in it are big buckets out of mebbe a chev van or something...they are just bolted straight to the floor and not on tracks or anything.
I've been surfing ebay and also trademe here in NZ, I think it will be a matter of just talking to the right person who knows where one is...
I would prefer obviously a front bench seat out of a 60 coupe, and apparently 59 and 60 Cadillacs, Pontiacs, Chevs had the same floor pan so I can use a seat out of any of those..but obviously I will have to consider anything. I dont mind, as long as I can drive it.
Have you been in touch with many El Camino owners over there? I have been talking to another kiwi girl on this forum who is at the other end of the North Island.
I've learnt a lot surfing this site.
Maree

Hey Maree, apologies I didn't reply sooner, not that I have any suggestions to offer though.

Do you get the magazine called, "Just Parts". Not that I buy it but it might have a couple of options.

Hi. Thanks to both John and Steve. I will try all those avenues. I have someone in the states advertising for me as well, so between all those options and here, I'm bound to come up with something.
Thanks again. Have a good weekend.
Sun is shining in Auckland for a change today!

Maree

Gday All,
another Aussie / Kiwi to add to the group for Region 25

Have a 71 ss clone that was my old mans runs hard with a blown 454 and a 78 Black knight that I am trying to get on the road with a 350 and in need of a touch up here and there.

Hoping to have it on the road in the next month or so just spent my first day in the shed looking it over pulling things off and finding out what goes where and what does not go anywhere..

Guessing I am going to need some help in tracking down a few parts to get it complianced and road worthied.

78 Black knight

71 ss clone ( trib-ute )

Hope to see more of your cars soon.
Cheers
KP

Adam, I'll get that company name & number you in the next couple of days to see if he has a windscreen in stock locally for you.

You have the same profession as me too, PM.

New Aussie Member

Howdy,

Just joined today and luckily stumbled onto the Aussie section.

I'm not an owner, yet. Just starting my quest for a '59 - S.V., I'm VERY jealous of your ride, that's my dream 'ute' as well.

I've had a stack of utes, currently doing a very low-budget Val. I'd been wracking my brain for what to do as a long-term project that I could start focusing my research, etc. on. I had many, many thoughts from all marques and body styles but being a country boy and a ute fanatic there are no guesses needed as to what I decided on !! :eek:)

I now need to start chasing the 'right' beginning point - hopefully I don't end up pestering you guys too much.

Anyways, I'm glad I found this website and you 'local' lads/ladies, cheers,
Craig.

G'day Craig and welcome. Where in this big brown land are you located?

El Caminos are around here in OZ but not too common. The '59s are actually a bit of a bargain locally if you find one and if you know what is happening to their prices in the US.

Good luck with your quest and don't hesitate to ask away with questions. :)

Hi John,

Thanks heaps for the quick reply Mate !!

Really, I'm from Forbes, Central NSW. Currenlty, I basically live in Sydney because it pays the bills a little better. I have my cars spread between the two and further.

Where are you?

I'm a little new to researching Elkys but I have noticed a similar scenario with a few American cars - sometimes better to source here rather than there. Weird !!

I'm not sure what I should be getting for what I pay yet. There is a 'project' for 12.9k in SA right through to a nut and bolt resto for 65k in Qld.

There is an exceptionally good, high-level 'streeted' version in the US at the mo going in the 40s which still seems quite good value when you read what has been done to it so I'm quite confused.

Don't get me wrong, that's far from my budget but I'm just trying to work things out as the resto projects over there seem to be similar, as you say, to Aussie prices.

Do you have any experience/thoughts on the Gen 1s?

Thanks again,
Craig.

How's it going Bear. Glad you like my Elkie. I looked around at what was for sale in Oz but ended up buying one from the U.S. It wasn't any cheaper but there was a better choice in the U.S. A friend of mine has a pretty nice 59 for sale here in Perth. He's asking 35K but I reckon you could get it for 30. If your interested I could email you a couple of photos and his contact #.

No worries mate. I try and log on regularly but I am so busy at work these days it gets hard to find the time for more than a quick hit and run.

I am in Melbourne, SE 'burbs pretty close to the city. I have been through Forbes a few times (typical Mexican heading for the Gold Coast eh? :lol: ).

A mate of mine has told me about a '59 being advertised in one of those car trader magazines. I get Unique Cars and it is not in that, so have a look around the news agency for what is on the shelves (my mate is away so I can't find out which magazine for a while). He reckons it looks good, has been advertised for at least a couple of editions and is listed at around 20k.

I can tell you, mine seemed like a bargain when I got it but cost me a small fortune to get on the road. It doesn't look much different to the day I got it home which is best described as "used", but that is okay as I don't want show vehicle. Best advice is to buy something some else has poured money into if you can, or if you can do most or all the work yourself you should do okay. My big ticket items were tranny & Power Steering rebuild, replacement of floor panel and other minor body work and suspension rebuild. Of course a new set of wheels & tyres, getting all the brake components, etc, etc, all add up.

I look forward to your next update.

Gents,

Thanks again for your speedy replies.

S.V. - I sent you an email about your mate's car so you have an easy address to reply to.

John - It's not just you Mexicans that like heading to the Gold Coast!! You guys do help our motels and servos stay in business though. :eek:)

There was a roughish 59 in May issue of Just Cars for about 16k I think it was, but it wasn't in the June issue. I actually wasn't as keenly looking then but am due to re-check those issues at bedtime tonight. Maybe that's the one your Mate saw? When you get a chance, if you wouldn't mind asking him where it was he saw it, I would really appreciate that please?

We've all had those bargains turn out to be far from it - remember that low-budget Val ute I mentioned above, not quite as low as it was meant to be......
Which is precisely why I want to make sure I don't get caught this time around as I'm no rich executive indulging a mid life crisis. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'd do that too if I was a rich exec - it would be 14 cars instead of 4. And a bloody big shed instead of a single garage 400ks away.

Thanks again lads,
Bear.

Craig, apologies for the slow response this time. Working insane hours at this end so not logging on here as much as I usually do.

I check out with my mate on that 1st Gen he told be about. It was a '60 with 6 cylinder, triple carbs and presentable for $16,000. Cruizin April and May magazines and the car was/is in Queensland.

Good luck with it.

Hi John,

Mate, no probs at all - work must come first !!

I had seen that one, prolly not bad value but I particularly want a 59.

I'll find the right one, it's probably just going to be being prepared to be patient.

Thanks for being so welcoming Lads,
Craig.

G'day and welcome to ECC Ben. It would be best if you posted your question in the Brake section.

Down here at the bottom of the Forums page we don't get too many of our US mates venturing, and they have tons of knowledge.

Where are you in the big brown land?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.