El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I recently picked up a 1992 F-250, 460 powered, 4 wheel drive as my daily driver. As many guys do, I had big plans for it! (some of this may be gibberish but...) I wanted to do a solid axle swap, some engine work, and throw in a manual tranny. Well I took the truck to the Dirt Drag Races here in my hometown and got 3rd! Then I decided that a manual tranny might not be the best since its tough to slam gears in a truck. So that leaves me with one other vehicle I own to swap a manual into... My El Camino! I have always wanted to do a manual swap but figured I wasnt mechanically inclined enough to do it. And the other thing is: I put a LOT of time into making a 200-4R fit. Id be a little bummed taking it back out honestly. But then the "fun" of drivin a manual may be worth it.

Whats all needed to do this kind of swap?
Would it be easier to buy a "donor" G-body with a manual trans and swap everything over?
Do they make a 4 speed manual with 4th gear as the overdrive?
Will I get better mileage with my 200-4R?
Is it worth the effort?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Whats all needed to do this kind of swap? Lots of parts you don't have.

Would it be easier to buy a "donor" G-body with a manual trans and swap everything over? Yes, for the right price.

Do they make a 4 speed manual with 4th gear as the overdrive? No, 5 speeds have OD.

Will I get better mileage with my 200-4R? No, with the manual.

Is it worth the effort? No, but if you gotta have it. Go for it!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Check this out!
http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/

Yes, sometime around 1962, a saginaw 3-speed w/ an overdrive (4-th gear) was manufactured. Saginaw transmissions (both three and four speeds) were used in the Malibu and the El Camino. The overdrive tail section could also be bolted onto the saginaw 4-speed trans. to make a 5-speed overdrive. I'm guessing here but, I think finding a (good) saginaw trans. with overdrive would be as hard or harder then finding a factory manual trans. G-body.

Doug

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a ton of work lol

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
This guy is suppose to have the pedal assm.
253-841-0143 Its a salvage yard in Washington. He knows what he's got, he wants $250 for it.:texas:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I run a hydraulic throwout bearing with my 4 speed. No need to find a g body bell housing or linkage. With the Muncie in my '83 I even run a stock crossmember in the original location. Pretty much a bolt in swap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts