El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after getting my El road worthy I came across an 80 Monza with 4 speed and 350. Got a good deal flywheel ,bell housing,trans and drive shaft for under $100, yea it's probably a Sagenaw, but still a good deal..
Why did I buy it, you may ask, but I found a clutch pedal strapped up under the dash, and yep the cutout on the hump has been patched over. I've been dreaming these 10 years about making her a 4 speed again. But I can't get my head around $500.00 for clutch linkage.
A few months ago Hot Rod had an article about hydraulic clutch systems, any body have experience installing and dependability of these ?
Crap just looked out the window, in SNOWING!!!

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
I was going to say, make sure you go back and get all the clutch linkage and Z-bar
at the same time,, at least its something to start with..
but sounds like its been awhile..
don't know if the Monza is the same, looks like Monza was a Hbody ??
but I hear/read the Gbody had a different bell housing than other GMs the same year,
and a different clutch-arm and linkage...
you probly found it, but heres a link with part numbers..
4SPD Swap.com
Monza 4spd swap search
I grew up driving 4spds, and I don't like Hyd Clutches,,
but i'v never tried to tune one so it feels better ether..
some release real fast or all at once, I hate that..
never done a Hyd swap
they have to be easy-er to install,, than building linkage..
IF, you can get it to bleed the air out..
the Clutch Master Cyl mount will probly be a pain tho..
some are Hyd Throw-out Bearing,
some use a Master/slave cylinders and normal clutch fork..
some kits i'v seen are built different/better, with a bleed on top..
someone has done it, hopefully they'll chime in..
1 TEXAS SALUTE.jpg

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I originally wanted to go manual with my swap but decided the auto would be easier since my car came that way. And so many told me that was the better choice. I will be removing my 4l60e in the near future for the second time. The first was my fault not knowing to check the converter/flexplate gap, the second is going to be because of a bad pump that looses pressure when hot. If it has to come out a third time a standard will be goin in like I wanted in the first place! Which brings me to a discussion with a friend that has been there and done that with his race car (he has sponsors so I'll keep him out of this for now not knowing if he would want me to say). His best advice on the subject was keeping the trans and shifter combination as close to original as possible. His thing was running a T6 with a manual clutch, it worked but not without quirks. He's did it the other way before the T6 and success was about the same. Last one was the T6 with hydraulic and he's happy now. Unless someone that has had a wonderful experience up-grading to a hydraulic clutch on an older 4 speed has a better outlook, I'd do a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on an aftermarket set-up. Just what I've heard from one view point. YMMV! Good luck!

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts