El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a cheap, easy install serpentine conversion. I think a b-body or f-body would probably fit better and look better so I'm going to try to go with that or a mid 90s s10 blazer 4.3. Early 90s Camaro's/Firebirds are hard to come by at salvage yards near me.

Can anyone comment on good late 80s/early 90s B-body donors? I read they have steel brackets which might look better than the aluminum.

B-body Donors?
Caprice
Buick LeSabre
Cadillac Fleetwood
Oldsmobile Delta 88, Custom Cruiser

Other Donors:
88-92 Chevy Pick Up or Astro Van 4.3L V-6,
1990 C1500 with a 350
'97 pickup with the 305
any serpentine setup off any 4.3, 305, or 350 should work

What I need:
Reverse rotation water pump
AC delete pulley (part #34224 or 10055890, in the future I want to add air conditioning so could I just idle the compressor?)
Fan clutch
Reverse Fan
Fan shroud

Jeff Smith - Car Craft
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...ne-belt-drive/

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,711 Posts
I used a 91 Camaro set-up on my 83. You can get the major components - from Rock Auto and EBay - for about $300. That would include the brackets, water pump and power steering pump. You would need to use the Camaro PS pump. The pump is basically the same as the other non-serpentine 305/350 but, the angle of the reservoir filler of the non-serp pump will not fit in the Camaro bracket. A 90s pickup serpentine system can be fitted on a 305/350 but the alternator and A/C compressor sets up higher and may cause not fit under the 64 hood - they're also uglier.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If you end up having a tough time finding a complete kit , or the complete kit costs much more than 3-400, GM sells BRAND NEW kits (with hardware) all brand new components including water pumps and belts for 900 for the A/C version. I believe they have a NON-A/C version that is cheaper.

It seems like a lot of money, but if you value your time it's worth it. That's the way I went.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used a 91 Camaro set-up on my 83. You can get the major components - from Rock Auto and EBay - for about $300. That would include the brackets, water pump and power steering pump.
We must not be looking at the same Rock Auto.

I’m not sure what B-body has steel brackets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here’s a 1992 Cadillac Brougham, V8. It was a pain removing the Torx bolts that attached the brackets to the block and heads. There were also steel supportive bars attached to the aluminum brackets. I want to add A/C to the ‘64 el Camino eventually since I may be moving back to AZ. Should I purchase this old compressor?
Top arrow: Are all belt tensioners like this?
The bottom arrow I think is the smog/air pump. It would be nice to find a serpentine system without it but I imagine they all have it.
Elimination bracket at this link.
GM (General Motors) - 10129569 - GM Smog Pump Elimination Pulley & Bracket Assembly - Used With GM Serpentine Kits #12497698 and 12497697

·
Registered
45 Posts
Went to U pull junkyard and removed all brackets and components of a 95 Tahoe for 125.00. Bought belt bypass pulley from autozone. Had all parts painted for 50.00. This all fit on a Gen 0 SBC 350.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice! LKQ pick-a-part is twice the cost.

How do these guys get away with charging over $1k for this?
I can't tell if it's the same as the 1992 Cadillac Brougham. The worst part about this stock caddy setup is the torx bolts.

The caddy setup I posted a picture of looks similar to the f-body, b-body and c1500 photos I've seen. I'm probably overthinking this but was trying to find the one that looks most clean/minimal out of the stock setups.
I like how you can remove the water pump without removing all the brackets. The billet aluminum kits I've seen don't allow you to do that because the alternator and A/C brackets are one piece and cover the top of the water pump. I don't like how the tensioner is up top, next to the A/C compressor. Makes me want to CNC my own. Would be a good project.

Best bet in finding steel brackets might come from 1988-1993 Chevy C1500, C2500, K1500's.

Chevy's Installation guide:
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...6-19417907.pdf

·
Registered
146 Posts
the 1988 to 1994 TBI motors (the same as the Cadillac picture above) are very common and plentiful in pick apart yards, just remember that they are reverse rotation water pumps, the pump off of the TBI motor will bolt up and work, that is what I used on my 327 years back

·
Registered
453 Posts
As for GM charging huge bucks for a new setup, they can and will do that as long as there is a market and customers buy it...plain and simple!

Another good source is 4.3L's. I have one on my '92 S-10 and bought a whole motor with front engine accessory setup for $50, so they are out there.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts