El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next few weeks,I'll be installing a Quicksilver shifter and I wanted to know how to eliminate the car starting while the shifter is in gear. The reason I ask is because of the safety of myself and others who drive my car.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
first, modify your factory shift linkage at the bottom of the column like I did mine (see: removing the column shifter thread by me). then run the wire coming OUT of the factory NS switch (goes to starter solenoid) to the new switch that you mount on the quicksilver.

another way to do this is to run the wire coming out of the factory NS switch to a momentary contact pushbutton mounted under the edge of the dash. you would have to push this button while turning the key, so put it on the left side of steering wheel somewhere. needing to push the button will remind you to make sure it's in gear, and will also double as an anti-theft device.

:poke:

Ya gotta have smart brains man!

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
The wire going to the starter solenoid would be easiest!!
(Remember the wire I touched to your battery to crank your motor over, the one that goes to the spade connector on the starter)
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
regardless of where you put the NS switch. or if you use one or two of them (one being the stock one), adding that pushbutton between the NS switch and the solenoid makes for a great, and low-buck, anti-theft devise. Put it between the column and the door on that flat portion of the bottom of the dash and it will be hidden and handy both.

:poke:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts