El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a QuickSilver shifter, and it's a pain to shift. Has been that way ever since I bought the cruck in Sept. Just now able to move into this problem. I had taken the stuff off the shifter in the cabin and oiled/greased what I could get to, and it helped somewhat, but not enough to be very comfortable in shifting. Is the problem under the floor/car where it connects to the tranny? If so, what should I look for?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I bought one of these shifter and I thought it was hard to sfift, so I sold it to Donny. The Beast is looking far one to buy, maybe you can sell him yours. Then go and get you a new and easier one to shift.

·
Registered
351 Posts
b&m

Check the cable there should be no sharp bends in it going to the linkage.

·
0 Posts
I bought one of these shifter and I thought it was hard to sfift, so I sold it to Donny. The Beast is looking far one to buy, maybe you can sell him yours. Then go and get you a new and easier one to shift.
I sure am! Thanks for the lookout Melissa!:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
X2 on the cable being in a bind. I loved the one I got from Melissa and the one I have now. Unhook the cable off the tranny and run it straight and see if it don't work better. I put a 48" cable on mine, worked like a charm!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Registered
106 Posts
Years ago I had a car with a broke ground wire between the body and engine. Those pesky electrons started using the shifter cable as a ground and the heat melted the plastic lining in the sheath to the point of locking up the cable. Disconnect the shift cable on both ends and verify the cable moves easily, likely it needs to be replaced then check or add grounds. Those electrons always look for the easiest path.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
" Unhook the cable off the tranny and run it straight and see if it don't work better"

Uhh, Donnie, if I unhook the cable off the tranny, justa how's it dat I shift dis shiftless wunder den????:poke:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just got mine all hooked up and it has BARELY more tension shifting now than unhooked. Id be looking at the cable as well. How tight is your exhaust run to the trans? May have also melted the lining.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
" Unhook the cable off the tranny and run it straight and see if it don't work better"

Uhh, Donnie, if I unhook the cable off the tranny, justa how's it dat I shift dis shiftless wunder den????:poke:

actually, that would make you another one of those shiftless texans

:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Uhh, how about you unhook it off the tranny and see if (THE SHIFTER WORKS BETTER) then you'll know it's in the cable!!!
Dang Texans!!!!:poke:
Donny

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have a B&M ratchet shifter, not Quicksilver, but it still takes a hefty poke to shift -- that's after greasing the mechanism and driving long enough so it's definitely broke in. Disconnecting the cable from the shifter doesn't really make much difference in the feel of the shifter. Is that just the way B&M makes them?

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I have a Quick Sliver now & I had 1 in the past. Pretty smooth and easy. I have the B&M Mega shifter in the 68 and I don't like it near as much!!!
Donny

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the B&M ratchet on mine also, it was hard to shift and had to put my body into really. I was mocking up a new console for it last year and started looking at it to see what could be done (greasing lube up and what not). I noticed the black thing that mounts on top for the detents in the top of it was really tight so i just removed it. it did make a difference on how tight the shifting was but i also noticed i had no problems finding the right gear as the tranny kinda gave you the right feeling anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I have something to work with. I'll disconnect the cable at the tranny and try shifting to see if the cable is kinked. I'll also look for that "black thing" on the detents and see if that helps.

Some of that can be done at the same time I'm trying to stop my tranny leaks.

Thanks for the help/suggestions. Ya be a great bunch of guys.:beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts