El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last wednesday i changed 6 spark plugs on my on my 1984 elky w/ a 305. they were all fouled so i know the ones for 6 and 8 are. it looks like it will be a tight sqeeze to get them out, any suggestions? it has A/C (which seems to be in the way). i was wondering if anything need taken off to get to them.

thanks in advance :) :) :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
try jacking the right side and removing the tire. you maybe able to get access through the fenderwell openning. plug sockets with a swivel end built on, or wobble extensions may also help. Or you may have to resort to a standard plug socket with a wrench to fit the hex on the end. Good luck and may the force be with you :)

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
jimmy74 said:
try jacking the right side and removing the tire. you maybe able to get access through the fenderwell openning. plug sockets with a swivel end built on, or wobble extensions may also help. Or you may have to resort to a standard plug socket with a wrench to fit the hex on the end. Good luck and may the force be with you :)
That works, but I usually use a plug socket, one inch extension with a wabble head ratchet.

·
1,867 Posts
It is a tight fit but I am able to get back there with just a plug stocket & rachet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
jimmy74 said:
try jacking the right side and removing the tire. you maybe able to get access through the fenderwell openning.
Thanks for the tip.... looks like the two bad guys are on the passenger side. I have been putting off changing plugs because they looked too hard.

They may be easier to reach with the wheel removed. Great tip

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You can access the plugs with a regular 3/8 drive plug socket and ratchet, but you MUST use just the right length extension. You will have to experiment with the extension length, but one a couple inches long provides enough clearance to do the job, but it is a tight fit. I had to buy a short extension just for this purpose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts