El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove about 3 miles this morning, parked and saw coolant leaking from the front of the engine behind the water pump. Drove about 25 miles to friend to check the leak, leak appeared to be gone. No trace of wetness anywhere. Drove home, still dry, neighbor said it might be leaking from the gasket on the back of the water pump that I tried to point to in the photos. It's not the pump to motor gasket, it's the gasket on the back of the water pump. Anyone ever experience this?

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
the only time i have ever seen a water pump leak at the backing plate like that was when i had had it apart previously, but anything can happen, the thing to do is obtain a pressure tester(most parts houses rent them) pump it up to 14 pounds or so and check it for leaks.(don't go above cap pressure(16 pounds on most systems) or you can cause new leaks)this should tell you if or where the leak is coming from. GL

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have only had one leak at the back of the water pump out of all the GM vehicle I have owned. It's usually the gasket leaking. I don't believe you can buy that gasket though. New water pumps aren't all that expensive though.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
some of gasket sets have it in them but why mess with it.once off they are too cheap to fool with compared to it going out and hurting your motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts