El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would i either go with the 6.25 balance or the 8.00??
Whats a good cheap balancer?The summit one is $54. Is their any cars i could take this off of and still have realiable timing marks/timing pointer?

One more thing is it wiser to go with short water pump or long water pump?

Where is a cheap nice crank pulley that i could use, i found TransDapt performance with a 30% underdrive crank pulley for $30...but i'm just wondering if you guys have any other places/suggestions..i'm using stock pulleys on alt,waterpump,and PS as of right now as i am doing with brackets too..i am just wondering what you guys wouuld do etc..what i could take this off of etc..

REMEMBER THIS IS ON A 358 Chevy.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My experience with pulleys is that you need them all to be, as much as possible, one manufacturer and one type. I.e. ALL aluminum, all stamped steel (chrome). They should all be from one manufacturer also. Each vendor seems to cut the grooves a little different and as a result if you mix two, say like 1 march 3 groove crank with a stamped steel chrome plated PS pulley there could be an alignment problem. Sometimes it will throw the belt and sometimes it could just twist them until they brake.

My personal preference right now is Zoops at www.zoops.com. I like march but they like their stuff more than I do they charge more than I want to pay.

A balancer. You can get one at a Auto Supply for about 45 bucks. If you are looking into a better balance then I went with Street Damper a division of Fluid Damper Inc. They are not as expensive, they are not SEMA approved like the fluid damper but very good all RPM dampers for street. They will run you around 250 to 295.00 each if I remember correctly.

Never put a Junkyard balance on your engine. If you need a new one get one - new one. Those things are so cheap that risking a engine on a used balance is just not right.

Just my opinions

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't afford march stuff, is their any vechicle i can pull pulleys off of that won't throw pulleys easily?
Thanks for the suggestions/comments.
-Eric

·
Registered
54 Posts
if you want it I have a street dampener from fluid dampener I'd let go for 45 bucks or a solid 74 elky door. thats been collecting dust in my garage since my big block swap. Got to have more power you know. as far as pulleys go to your local bone yard get a nice set and powder coat them since your on a budget they look and work well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want a 30% underdrive crank pulley...is their any pulleys i should look for particular at the junk/salvage yard?Any years have underdrive pulleys?And i will need double slot because i'm going to run powersteering.
I'm buying a summit balancer.$50. Powder coat=$.on all my brackets and stuff off of my 267 i'm just painting them with like flat black then a clear coat on top.

-Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts