El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate some opinions from anyone who has used Bar's Main Bearing Stop Leak. My mechanic advised not to use it and said it will eventually eat up the main seal.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I work at a dealership and have first hand watched mechanics use multiple expletives about any of the Bar's leaks products. It might buy you some time but be on the lookout for a new motor in the meantime.....

I once had an S-10 Blazer that would leak a quart out the rear main every thousand miles. This motor had 200k miles on it but ran good. Only problem was that rear main seal and blow-by at the rings. The PCV had no chance of keeping up. However I did discover that just leaving the oil fill cap off relieved enough pressure that the 1qt per 1k went to 1qt per 3k! This is also a tactic to use while preparing to replace the motor or plan a re-build! Best of luck!

Joe

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a neat trick, Joe. But, did you get any oil blow out from the valve cover with the cap off?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Sounds like a neat trick, Joe. But, did you get any oil blow out from the valve cover with the cap off?
No, the factory cover had a baffle that was adequate. One other thing, I'm not sure if they still have them but I remember seeing a cap with a breather(small air filter looking thing)at one point in time. And other racing style breathers. But the cap off worked and I was already rounding up parts and a new motor.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Hello Wayne,

I don't wish to start a debate here. Really, I don't. But why would GM / AC Delco promote and sell the product below?

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
They have also built some vehicles that were inferior also ! I have had the opportunity to use this crap at the suggestion of a "mechanic" and of course he didn't help pay for everything it ruined. I know you're not trying to start a debate and I appreciate your input, but buying radiators, heater cores ,etc that were ruined by this "miracle" water is no fun either. FIX it RIGHT and leave this stuff on A-zones shelves. It is one of the "pay me now" or "pay me later" deals. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Disclaimer, just my opinion........Ahhhh, Rick has tapped into the corporate secret! Get it out of warranty! I have seen these tabs used and wondered why........at the time.

Joe

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hello Wayne,

I don't wish to start a debate here. Really, I don't. But why would GM / AC Delco promote and sell the product below?

Rick
I may be wrong but I think GM started promoting/using these tablets when they found out that their Norstar motor that they were using in the Cadillacs were prone to many water leaks.
The Norstar motor is a great running motor when it was used in aircraft and was air cooled.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The cooling systems tabs predate the Northstar by more than a decade. Cadillac’s new for ‘81 or ‘82 engine, the HT4100, was an aluminum block, iron head 4.1 liter v8 that had problems with coolant electrolysis eating up the sealing surface at the head gaskets and the tabs were a factory recommendation. One could say that GM hoping to get a poor engine design to last past warranty isn’t really endorsing it as much as desperation.
The Northstar debuted in ‘92 or ‘93 and had head bolt problems, but is a completely different engine than the 4100. I don’t know if GM recommended tabs for it or not.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
The cooling systems tabs predate the Northstar by more than a decade. Cadillac’s new for ‘81 or ‘82 engine, the HT4100, was an aluminum block, iron head 4.1 liter v8 that had problems with coolant electrolysis eating up the sealing surface at the head gaskets and the tabs were a factory recommendation. One could say that GM hoping to get a poor engine design to last past warranty isn’t really endorsing it as much as desperation.
The Northstar debuted in ‘92 or ‘93 and had head bolt problems, but is a completely different engine than the 4100. I don’t know if GM recommended tabs for it or not.
Patrick
Yesssssss! The 4100's! I worked in the body shop of a Caddy dealer back then. All I can remember is my heavy line friends cussing those things! And yes, that's where I remember those tabs from! I still have one of the 4100 emblems stuck on my tool box! I can send a pic if you need proof! LOL!

Joe

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, the Jury has spoken, and the verdict is I won't be putting Bar's Leak in my engine.
So, one more question: What are opinions out there for using STP in a high mileage engine?

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
I have never heard anything but good about the STP,BUT, maybe some of the "high mileage" oils may be as good a way to go .Personally I have never used any additive and have had very acceptable mileage out of my engines .Some people ignore the "other end" of an engine, the INTAKE air ! Very important to the health of an engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts