El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of points distributor and installed an HEI, rewired correctly as per instructions, 66 El Camino with 283 and Muncie M-21 runs great now, however, when I hook up the yellow wire from the CD player to keep station presets the battery drains over night. Tried the solid state regulator as suggested in the instructions, it slowly climbs to 18V, put the points style regulator back in and voltage stabilizes where it should. Alt. output is around 13.8 volts, All Battery cells at 1.275 specific gravity. Load test by Autozone says sytem is working fine. I removed the resistance wire under the hood and installed a heavy wire in it's place to feed the required 12V to the new HEI distributor. I removed the extra wire going to the starter from the coil as per instructions. Super Tach II is hooked up to the Tach terminal on the distributor. The only question about the distributor concerns the coil wires, does anyone know what the color code for hookup is? Red, Yellow and Black, obviously black is ground, is red 12V hot and yellow is Tach? not sure.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Scrubby said:
The only question about the distributor concerns the coil wires, does anyone know what the color code for hookup is? Red, Yellow and Black, obviously black is ground, is red 12V hot and yellow is Tach? not sure.
Connect 12V from the key switch to the red lead. The yellow lead is for a tach signal. The black wire attaches to one of the four corner screws that holds the coil in the distributor cap.

:mrgreen:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts