El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my battery going dead when I don't use the Elky enough. I have been looking for the where, but have not found it yet.
My question is.
Should there be any draw on the battery if everything is off? I have everything off, then I disconnected the ground cable and connected an amp meter between the cable and the battery. When I do this the meter is reading .46. Should it read -0-? I am thinking that there is always some draw, but I am not sure.
Any comments appreciated.
elamott

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
do you have a Radio ? with clock? after mrkt. you can start by pulling one fuse at a time and check for a draw each time, glove box light? you will need to narrow down your search .:texas:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I finally installed a battery disconnect on the negative cable to prevent my battery from being drained while sitting. Make sure you use the negative cable to prevent sparks.

~JM~

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have gone through all of the procedures with the fuses and alternator but nothing changed.
My question still is. Is it normal to have some draw on the battery when everything is off or do I have some hidden problem?
elamott

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Not on a NON computer contred engine ,you will have a radio draw, and a clock draw,the pcm takes power to hold memory

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I just did a draw test on my 66 Elky
Battery kept conking out if not started on a daily basis.

Came back from a trip and the battery was "dead as Hell"
New, better battery and I hooked a lamp between the
NEG post and NEG cable----no light came on
Hooked up my meter----0.15
Only thing running on this thing is a clock and the radio memory.

1/2 amp is quite a draw
Sure you don't have a hood light or glove box light on????

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found my problem. My lock out on the torque converter wasn't working and when the shop fixed it they plugged the power source into a connection that did not shut off with the switch. That had a draw even the car was stopped. I changed the source and the problem was gone.
Thanks for all of the comments.
elamott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts