El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 87 el camino and I'm looking to remove the aluminum rails off the sides of the bed, they are kind of loose (the screws are slightly stripped out) and people love leaning on them, (drives me nuts) I'm looking for something to cover the scree holes and I'm sure faded paint underneath, looking for some ideas

Thanks

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I had some handmade stainless steel swordblades on mine for years that I just took off to do widebody conversion. Nobody ever leaned on them.:smile3:
Honestly there's really nothing other than welding up holes, bodywork , & paint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking about maybe taking off the rails tracing the shape out onto some sheet metal, cut them to fit, paint to match and screw back on, the car is clean and original I just dont want it to look cheesy

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Thinking about maybe taking off the rails tracing the shape out onto some sheet metal, cut them to fit, paint to match and screw back on, the car is clean and original I just dont want it to look cheesy
That is a good idea. Let us know how that goes. Maybe have some pics to post.

1/8 inch aluminum in those shapes polished up would look good also. It's going to show one way or the other. Unless, there is a lot of body work done.

Getting rid of the old snaps and holes from a tonneau cover should be that easy.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Well nuts

The rails coming loose certainly present problems. I had a '85 years back that dropped a side rail on the interstate. Felt lopsided afterwards. :)
If you're intent on ridding the rails then bodywork is an impending reality.
Or if you like the rails you can replace the screws with well nuts that will secure the threads a bit better and even withstand the leaning bodies for a while at least.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I think any kind of a cover would look like just that.
Another thought would be just the right sort of stainless cargo mount, Like with a 1/4 to 3/8" rod in a rectangular sort of shape. At least it would both look & be functional.

·
Supporting Member
4,375 Posts
There are several different hidden nuts and faster systems that we used on aircraft. Go to Wicks Aircraft and check out the stuff.You can use these nutserts ,http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/category/nutserts
Rivnuts are another great way to secure .
I find that Jacknuts work well, and won't pull out like rivnuts sometimes do. They work like a drywall fastener, expanding behind the panel. Available on Amazon if your local hardware store does not carry them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUFMG86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Tonneau cover!

My 1st 79 had a tonneau cover with the rails. I took them off and sold them then had a new cover made that covered the mounting pads. But I already had the cover and snaps so it was a easy fix for me! Good luck! :bigups:

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I deleted those ugly things the first day I had mine in the driveway! Thing is, I am much happier seeing my car with holes in the quarters than those horrid rails! :texas:

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Of course deleting the rails and thinking it looks better is just simply a matter of opinion.I personally don't think they are ugly ,but do think it not as nice without them. :rockon:

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Of course deleting the rails and thinking it looks better is just simply a matter of opinion.I personally don't think they are ugly ,but do think it not as nice without them. :rockon:
LOL! Absolutely my friend! Love them or hate them is in the eye of the beholder! :rockon:

·
Registered
122 Posts
The birthday camino will be getting the rails shaved for sure.
I have seen a couple non welding techniques on you tube but i am not 100% sold on lol
1. bevel the hole and fill with solder using flux and a torch.
2. bevel the and fill with long hair bondo
3. fill with epoxy putty lol

all these make me want to make sure i get the holes welded up properly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts