El Camino Central Forum banner

do you like the look of bed rails on el caminos?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
881 Posts
I've owned El Caminos with and without bed rails. I like the look and functionality of them. The only problem I had with them is the screws loosening up. 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like El Caminos both ways. If you are going for a complete stock look, I think bed rails are good. Bed rails may get in the way of customized looks.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I took the rails off my 87 yesterday to polish them and I'm rather undecided now as to which way looks better. Of course I will put them back on because they are original.

I did discover something interesting upon removal. The driver side rear bracket had some "custom" work done to it. Apparently the orignal screws had pulled out and some putz had used those plastic screw shields to hold them in place...I'm thinking a little JB weld should do the trick to close up the holes a little so the original style screws will work....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine doesn't have them. and i realy like our elkys with out them they just look much cleaner in my opinion and its just one less place for them to rust

·
Registered
5,048 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I have the original pair on my 87 SS. I like them on some, depending on the wheels, color etc. I have seen some on others that just don't look right.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I kept them on my first ChooChoo, an '84, but this ChooChoo, an '87, I took them off. I've made it a mild custom, and I think it just looks cleaner from all angles.
Mostly, it's a matter of personal taste. Kinda' like saying do you like mag wheels on Elkys or not...

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ElkySS said:
Kinda' like saying do you like mag wheels on Elkys or not...
Well Dan, kind of dating ourseleves there aren't we ? "Mag Wheels". Opps, dang! just got more post points, darn!

·
Registered
40 Posts
saw an El Camino with bed-rails

I saw an El Camino years ago (Mid 70's) with bed-rails. Not only did it have bedrails but it had a White cap (Red car) and the thing that really made me want to "Puke"...
Was that it had "Mag wheel" hubcaps!
(Back then my El Camino (Daily driver 14 years) was a 1971 SS-454 with a 4/speed).

PS: Oops, I forget to mention, that guys car also had a CB radio antenna & a Foxtail hanging from the mirror!!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
If anybody need a set, I've got one. email me for a great deal.
My dad has a co-worker that has 3 or 4 sets but i have been indecisive whether to put them on it or not. So I'm going to mock them to see if it's god on it or not. Where can I get the gaskets at or if I can make them. Also what kind of screws to use if I put them on? The others may be for sale in the future, cuz he is giving them all to me. Thanks. :poke:

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,082 Posts
Never been a big fan of them, functional to a degree, but even then they seem to be in the way when not being used and overtime, the mounting spots are usually where rust starts.

Remind me of funeral flower cars........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts