El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Need opinions. Been thinking of either a tonneau cover or bed liner, or both. My bed and wheel wells are all scratched up, no rust just paint scratches and some peeling. I think i might like a tonneau cover better than the liner but i dont know. I would like to do bothe but my pockets arent that deep.

I dont know exactally how expensive it would be to rhynoline the entire bed? But i found a snap tonneau cover for $285. Which is a better deal?

Oh anybody got pics of tonneau covers or bedliners?

Thanks in advance

Brandon

·
Registered
132 Posts
I plan on doing the rhino liner inside the bed, and also adding a fiberglass tonneau on my 83... bring inside the bed to bare metal, and then coat with liner, and then get tonneau.. better safe than sry, plus if gf ever gets mad at you, you have a place to sleep that has a roof and a tad more room than the cab...rofl

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've a fiberglass cover for mine and plan on Herculiner too. :texas: My 2 cents

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a Rhino liner and am very pleased with it. A tonneau cover isn't going to prevent scratches if you haul anything.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Mines a rhino it's five years and not a scratch. I do a lot of camping and load it up with firewood drag things out can't hurt it. Looks brand new still.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought mine with some crap DIY spray in liner that I'm almost positive is hiding something. It still keeps the bed from getting dinged up but it looks rather ugly imo. Doesn't line-x do colored linings? That might be cool.
Also have the snap on cover, and would advise a hard tonneau. The wind pushing the cover over the ribs while driving frequently rips the snaps out :???:

·
Supporting Member
4,527 Posts
For a liner, I've done colored and black. The colored is neat, but any repair work is difficult. Colored also tends to be a little "Softer", due to the added volume of toner. Black can be more easily touched up- even just a little spray of black paint - should you get a scratch. Mine is now Linex'd, and it is very hard- tough on the knees if you are crawling around. No matter what you choose, I recommend a 2-part liner ( epoxy) vs the single stage type. It's just a lot more durable- especially if it gets hot where you live. If you install a tonneau over the liner, it can get pretty toasty inside there in the summer. Like melting asphalt.

For a tonneau cover, I had the hard fiberglass and gave it away. It tended to rub the paint, and was difficult to remove. I now have the Craftec cover, and like it. I've installed electric locks so it gives me a little security, and it is easy to remove ( 1 person- 20 seconds). Price was about $300.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
go with the craft tec bed cover NOT the snap kind tonneu,in my oppinion the craftec is ALOT more better looking than those HIDEOUS snap types.as for the bedliner,ive had good results with the hurculiner brand,all in all i believe the durability is all in the prep.:beer:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay i was looking again and i cant seem to find hard top covers? Can you guys post pics of yours and how nuch it was? I see en' from $221-$980

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay i was looking again and i cant seem to find hard top covers? Can you guys post pics of yours and how nuch it was? I see en' from $221-$980

Thanks guys

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I just installed a herculiner roll on kit today in my white 64. It came out super! The local Rhinoliner shop wanted $350.00 to do it in black. I used grey because it looks awesome against the white paint.
My total expenses with herculiner kit, thinner and gloves is about $155.00
The problem with tonneau covers is they don't keep water out. They are often in the way for large cargo items. They also require bolting on or snaps. They also offer no security.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay i like the idea of a bedliner! But i like the looks of a tonneau cover.... No security needed all i would keep would under it would be a fishing pole, bascket ball and maybe a few other little things.

Well at this point im leaning torwards a bedliner , and a cover if i can get one for under $200.

Okay where is the least expensive place to buy the role on liner?

Thanks guys:You_Rock:

Brandon

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
168 Posts
I did the floorpans in it and half the gallon gave me 3 coats. THe can said it would cover a full bed with I think 3 coats but I'm not really sure if it does. The things been sitting with no doors now though for a year and the floors haven't started to rust at all so it is definitely waterproof

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guys checkout Grizley grip out of florida, They have black, florecent colors and even camo colors. I chose the cranbery red due to it being very close to the cranbery redish OEM body paint. It is a two part coating, plus it has properties you can add to reduce fading. It also comes in the normal rough finish or smooth. I chose the rough texture due to my bed not being the prettiest and I figured the rough would hide small bumps and things.
I'v not used it yet, I should be delivered tomorrow, I'll let you know how it looks.
About $155.00

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts