El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO PW comments please!

I watched the Celene special last night with the wife (hey, it was quality bonding time (hack, hack :roll: )).

The one thing that stood out was the commercial of this in the convertable version slated for next year. Now granted, I could never afford one, BUT DROOL:

·
Banned
881 Posts
87SS said:
I watched the Celene special last night with the wife (hey, it was quality bonding time (hack, hack :roll: )).
Yea, I do stuff like that with my wife occasionally...usually to soften her up just before I bring home another car project. :wink:

I like that Chrysler Crossfire. It looks like it just jumped out of a comic book.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Spending quality time with your significant other is healthy, especially if your significant other is just as much of a gearhead like yourself. I'm a very lucky guy :D

Perhaps in the future I will be spending some quality time with the Crossfire since I work for a Dodge dealership. In the meantime I get to mess with 5.7 liter Hemi trucks and very soon the Hemi equipped, rear wheel drive Intrepid. By the way, rear wheel drive sedan hasn't been a part of Chrysler's offerings since the demise of the Dodge Diplomat after the 1989 model year.

I've heard rumours about Chevy going back to rear wheel drive sedans as well, I hope this is true since I've had enough of halfshafts and transversely mounted inline fours and V6s. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Crown Victoria the only rear wheel drive car offered by american automakers today?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has GM also dropped the Impala SS? I forgot to add the words full-size sedan when I was wondering about the remaining rear wheel drive cars.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The Impala SS that you might be thinking about is gone. The current Impala is a front wheel drive POS. And I think you're right in the Crown Vic being the only full size sedan. Can't think of any others.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Poltergeist said:
The Impala SS that you might be thinking about is gone. The current Impala is a front wheel drive POS. And I think you're right in the Crown Vic being the only full size sedan. Can't think of any others.
Mercury Merauder also. Ford/Merc version of the RWD Impala SS.

The '94-'96 Impala SS IMO, is one of the best cars ever built!!! Plenty of power, and VERY nice to drive. Heck, they handled pretty damn well too 8) :!:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Poltergeist said:
I'm not sure what your criteria are but my 2002 Impala LS is a damn nice vehicle. No, it's not a sports car nor a dragster; but then again that's not why one buys a four-door sedan.[/size]

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure what your criteria are but my 2002 Impala LS is a damn nice vehicle. No, it's not a sports car nor a dragster; but then again that's not why one buys a four-door sedan
To me, it's more a question of heritage...
It's like that commercial that GM showed a while ago. The guy (customer) was saying that his dad used to have an Impala... the salesman says "well, did your dad's Impala have smoke colored lenses, a 200 hp v6 and a rear spoiler?" Well, my dad didn't have an Impala, but one of my friend's mother did... no, it didn't have pointless crap like smoked headlights, or a spoiler, but it did have style, a big v8 (with more than 200 horses) and a 4 speed, and plenty of room to haul 6 people around in comfort (try shoe-horning 6 peeps in your 2002).
I'm not saying that the new Imp is a bad car. It (like the new "Malibu", which is more than simple automotive blasphemy) just isn't fit to wear the name GM put on it. Hell, the new Impala isn't even a full size car... I feel pity for the cops that have to drive that thing. Have you ever tried to sit in a prettied-up Lumina while wearing a full tool belt? Or tried to chase down some idiot running from you in a 10 year old 5.0 Mustang in that car? You wouldn't want to, trust me.

I stand by my sentiments that the new Impala is wearing the wrong name. It should have a badge that says something along the lines of oh, idunno, Lumina???

Flame away.
-Dean

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I'm not saying that the new Imp is a bad car. It (like the new "Malibu", which is more than simple automotive blasphemy) just isn't fit to wear the name GM put on it. Hell, the new Impala isn't even a full size car... I feel pity for the cops that have to drive that thing. Have you ever tried to sit in a prettied-up Lumina while wearing a full tool belt? Or tried to chase down some idiot running from you in a 10 year old 5.0 Mustang in that car? You wouldn't want to, trust me.

I stand by my sentiments that the new Impala is wearing the wrong name. It should have a badge that says something along the lines of oh, idunno, Lumina???

Flame away.
-Dean[/quote]

Dean: No flame intended.
There are few cars that are what they used to be. But after being screwed over by my last F**d product I thought I'd try what now passes for a "full-sized" Chevy product.
The Impala fits my needs very well; probably the last time I needed to seat six people I had a 1977 LTD with 400 cid. It took the six people and towed two ton of boat as well. and it got 12 miles to the gallon whether the boat was there or not.
I don't have to get in my Impala with a full tool belt or chase down Mustangs. But then I don't do that with my Elky either. I think one should get the car that meets their needs rather than an image. I really don't know what the police departments would do if the F**d people ever discontinue the Crown Victoria; since not all departments use them I suspect they have be able to find an adequate substitute.
Nice chatting with you.
Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts