El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here, in all their glory, are the winners of the 2nd Texas Invitational and Drag Shootout, which was held in Belton TX at Confederate Park May 26, 2012.

For reference, the classes were as follows:
Class 1A: Generations 1, 2, & 4 – Stock
Class 1B: Generations 1, 2, & 4 – Modified
Class 2A: 3rd Generation – Stock
Class 2B: 3rd Generation – Modified
Class 3A: 5th Generation – Stock
Class 3B: 5th Generation - Modified

Generations are as Follows:
1st: 1959 & 1960
2nd: 1964 through 1967
3rd: 1968 through 1972
4th: 1973 through 1977
5th: 1978 through 1987

Here are the winners, by proper name, with screen name in parentheses, if available.

Class 1a:
1st: Bob Hanes (n/a)
2nd: Bryan Simon (Bryan59EC)

Class 1b:
1st: Curt & Anne Johns (n/a)
2nd: Bill Hunter (n/a)

Class 2a:
1st: Ken Rogers (kenrogers1)
2nd: Jimmy Thompson (JJT)

Class 2b:
1st: Darryl Roberts (18NTEZ2C)
2nd: Paul Edwards (pauledwards)

Class 3a:
1st: Larry Wiswell (Zard)
2nd: Wilbur Floyd (WWS)

Class 3b:
1st: Bud Hallmark (SsUpPoErRt)
2nd: Tom Widmer (Buckwheat)

Engine: Darryl Roberts (18NTEZ2C)

Paint: Bill Hunter (n/a)

Interior: Darryl Roberts (18NTEZ2C)

Best of Show: Darryl Roberts (18NTEZ2C)

Drag Shootout at Little River Dragway Winners:

Big Block vs. Small Block: Dee Morris (elevatorman)

Best E.T.: Dee Morris (elevatorman)

Congrats to all the winners!:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
They may have won the awards, (and congrats to them, well deserved) but WE were all winners!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Is it May 2013 yet? I'm ready to do it all again!!!
Congrats to the award winners!! :beer:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belton 3 is going to take place May 11, 2013, so it's already 1 month down, 11 to go. I just need to finish recovering from the last one.:nanawrench:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
ah a date is set for the next one already.... hmmmmm
anybody ready to sign up for the drag shoot out 3:dontknow::secret:
ill be there complete with the same wore out junk i had this year:poke:
I might even hook up that line lock by then , its only been 1 1/2 yrs already lmao :beer::secret:

·
0 Posts
I might even hook up that line lock by then , its only been 1 1/2 yrs already lmao :beer::secret:
Did I miss the burnout contest this year?:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Right !

:funnypost:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And this is a 2 day shindig?
That's a possibility, but not a done deal. We'll be putting it to a vote and then if that's what the majority wants, we'll see if it can be done. Bigger event means more expenses. Stay tuned!

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Pictures of winning Elkies..............

I'll help Glenn answer that question. The photos were taken with my camera, and many of them did not come out as well as you would hope. I was taking the photos from a dark area, trying to focus on the winners against a very bright sunny background. It did not work well! In any event, you can view the entire collection of my photos at http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/kenrogers1/2012%20Belton%20II/ . You will also find the overhead shots from the Fire Department's ladder truck on that site. For a great collection of photos taken by a professional photographer, go to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ssibcdyz7eng3gy/oKU0pu0IFq . Enjoy!................Ken :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
" Bigger event means more expenses"

Bigger events (longer) also mean that newcomers have more time to meet those that have been around for a while. One day, out in the blistering heat, I didn't meet nearly as many as I wanted to meet, and especially Brandon. It may cost a bit more, but if you start saving up in a big jar, you'll have the funds. Unless ya sleep in your Elky!! :smileyb: I also think the registration fee should be $25.00, and that's really "Cheep" compared to most shows. Iffin' ya can afford ta spend $15 on draggin', ya can afford an extra $15 on registration. NOW, that's simply MY opinion!!:poke:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beepster, you're right on the money (pun intended). While this year we had a $10 "suggested donation", if we go to a 2 day event, there are several ways I'm thinking we can generate more funds for the association. 1st would be making the fee more of a requirement than a donation, although donations will still be gladly accepted and put towards making the event that much better. I'm thinking $20 for a 2 day event, or more if expenses warrant it. A 50/50 pot, as discussed elsewhere, would be another method for raising money. And finally, we could (well, actually, we are going to do this), improve/expand the concessions from just dogs to included beverages and burgers or whatever else the chuckwagon crew feels inclined to prepare for us.

Another source of funds that we are hoping for would be corporate sponsors. Weather it be for trophies, or for offsetting park and or race track rentals, that would be a tremendous boost to our event. And for things like renting out Little River Dragway, we would need a sponsor, because the last time I heard, the going rate for the track was $2,500. Ideally, we do need to rent the track, especially if we want to make a day of it. The reason the last show was so late in May was because our original date got bumped at the track. If we can reserve the track, then we will not have to worry about such scheduling issues.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Glenn, I'm really glad that so many things are being considered. I've posted on the other thread some of my thoughts. My PERSONAL feelings are that if EVERYONE wants to make this a success, then some contribution to the cause would help out greatly. I really think that $25 "donation" would be best (for now), I think that if asked, a lot of us would donate more into making this an event to remember, and remember is what I want to do (although it's hard sometimes, considering age).

As far as "requiring" a donation of whatever, anyone who wants to be there is fine, they just won't get a registration tag/bag/name tag. Their car can be there, it just can't be judged for anything. It comes down to an "equality" thing.

If we want corporate sponsors, work needs to start now, and I "suggest" Brandon to head the list of finding them for us. That guy has to have the best speil of any person I've ran across in a very long time. He's FANTASTIC!! Now, just put him to work for us. :twisted:

I don't know what to say about the $2500 for the track. If anything, it will probably rise. Does that mean that that is the ONLY actual cost, and anyone dragging does it for free, or is there still a fee PLUS the $2500??

Enough fur wun dai!:nanawrench:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
If we want corporate sponsors, work needs to start now, and I "suggest" Brandon to head the list of finding them for us. That guy has to have the best speil of any person I've ran across in a very long time. He's FANTASTIC!! Now, just put him to work for us.

X2 on what Beepster suggested above.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Hmmm, haven't seen too many jumping out and volunteering to help with next year. I realize it's a long way off, and commitments can change as circumstances change, but it would help Glenn and Roy to have a few basic people who are willing to do some things to help out. I may not be physically able to do a lot of activity, but I have already stated what I'm willing to do to help out the overall enjoyment to a fine event. If Glenn, Roy, Brandon, and others hadn't jumped in to take care of things, where would have Belton II have been?? Sacifrice a little, gain a lot.:poke:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts