El Camino Central Forum banner

Should Belton III be a two day event, or a one day event?

• One day

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Two day

Votes: 23 62.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to start thinking seriously about what we want our next little Elky party to be. There has been quite a lot of discussion regarding the current one day format vs. a two day format. So, if you plan to be at the 2013 event, please let your preference be known in the poll. Please vote only if you plan to attend. Also, if you only plan to attend one day, then do not vote for two days. We need a realistic idea of how many we can expect for either format. I'll leave this poll active for 30 days. After that, those of us involved in planning will consider the results, and then start figuring out how to make it happen. Thanks!:texas:

·
Deputy Director Region 13
2,247 Posts
I would love a 2 day event, however I will be there no matter which way yall choose! This event is to good to miss!! :texas: :beer:

Tim

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Gatorman ( Glen ) , you know having a 2 - day event would be interesting to say the least BUT , we still need to iron -out some growing pain's issues first before we consider having a 2- day event like one of the members had posted " WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS " to help out because not everybody gets to the park at the same time ... another thought about having the races on Sunday morning before it gets hot would be great idea BUT , I'm thinking about the folks who have to drive a long way and then get up Monday morning to go to work and that might scare some folks off and then we may not have a big turn out like we did this last time .... how long will the races last ?? till what what time ?? I just think we need to look at all the suggestions that all the Great N.E.C.O.A. & Region 13 members have put on the table and then REFINE THEM .... look how long it took for my idea on the " Good Sumarian Help A Member " took ??? My thinking is that if you suggest an idea , are you willing to volunteer to help out with that suggestion to see that it is done ??? so folks I'm just thinking out loud thats all and I will gladly go with the majority on whatever they want , because right now we are the talk of the town amongt other regions in the country about our success with our little get together in Belton in May , just my .02 cents .... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench:

·
Registered
1972 El Camino SS Tribute
437 Posts
Unless you are fortunate enough to live in Killeen or Temple, this event essentially becomes a 2-day endeavor just by virtue of the driving time.

I think I would enjoy it more if were a two day affair.

I know I would enjoy it more if it were in late March or early April before the temperature takes the fun out of droolin' and draggin'.

Thanks to Rushgator & the other leaders for being so proactive on this. Whether its one day or two, I'm driving my rat or my mouse, I plan to be there.

·
Past Texas Director
6,191 Posts
Hey Gatorman ( Glen ) , you know having a 2 - day event would be interesting to say the least BUT , we still need to iron -out some growing pain's issues first before we consider having a 2- day event like one of the members had posted " WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS " to help out because not everybody gets to the park at the same time ... another thought about having the races on Sunday morning before it gets hot would be great idea BUT , I'm thinking about the folks who have to drive a long way and then get up Monday morning to go to work and that might scare some folks off and then we may not have a big turn out like we did this last time .... how long will the races last ?? till what what time ?? I just think we need to look at all the suggestions that all the Great N.E.C.O.A. & Region 13 members have put on the table and then REFINE THEM .... look how long it took for my idea on the " Good Sumarian Help A Member " took ??? My thinking is that if you suggest an idea , are you willing to volunteer to help out with that suggestion to see that it is done ??? so folks I'm just thinking out loud thats all and I will gladly go with the majority on whatever they want , because right now we are the talk of the town amongt other regions in the country about our success with our little get together in Belton in May , just my .02 cents .... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench:
I agree 100% with MISTER Old Geezer Richard...We will definitely need MORE volunteers to be able to pull off a 2 day spectacular event!
To make it a success, and improve the "issues" of 2012, we HAVE to have more volunteers so all of the work isn't piled onto the same group of volunteers from the previous years. I for one want to have more time to sit and talk and BS with more of the members than I was able to do this past year. I personally like the idea of us figuring out a place to meet on Sunday morning to have breakfast and have time to sit and visit with each other a little more, before everyone heads home. Our offer still stands as far as putting up a mini Elky town camp out at our house on Saturday night, and realizing that some members don't want to "rough it" in the Texas heat in May is understandable. We're only 30 miles north of Belton, so we can caravan back down to whatever meeting place is decided on together, on Sunday morning. I'm more than willing to do whatever needs to be done, and I too will go along with the majority to make Belton III even better than before. I also think it would be helpful if Glenn could possibly post a list of what we need volunteers for, and get some volunteers signed up to help out. There's so much more to putting on this big shindig than a lot of folks realize. (Behind the scenes stuff!) Thanks for allowing me to put in my .02c!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"I know I would enjoy it more if it were in late March or early April before the temperature takes the fun out of droolin' and draggin'."

Fred, I agree with your idea of when to hold the event, BUT, unfortunately that also happens to be the BEST rain time. Early May would be better than later May, though. AND, you're also right about the distance being driven having a lot of bearing on how long the event should be. I'm an hour away, and you're about twice that, or so. Those from East Texas, West Texas, North Texas (Panhandle) can't easily drive, be there, race, and turn around and go home. Too many reasons for accidents.

Geez, it really doesn't matter if the event is one or two days as far as volunteers go to help make the event a success. Either duration will require the same volunteers to do the same work. There are several areas that I have stepped up to, both in actual, physical help and financial help. It's time for members to do the physical help that's needed like parking, hauling/unloading things, cooking, furnishing grills (I'll bring my Weber and charcoal), water and chests (I'm furnishing 10 cases and two coolers, still need more if two days), 50-50 tickets, and wife will volunteer to do the name tags.

These are the things, regardless of one/two days that need to be addressed, along with the duration. If people want to make this event an annual thing, then, to some extent, they need to step up and volunteer to do SOME of the involved manual labor. It's not that you would be taken away from the event so you can't interact, it's a matter of insuring this event will continue and be a hugh success!! Let Glenn know what you are willing to do to make this event more successful than in the past. It's YOUR organization and event, also!!!!:inlove:

G

·
The 2 day event sounds like more of a great thing since many members would love to have that extra day to relax. Maybe the date could be in the spring break timeframe since it would be a great time with parents enjoying time with their kids. As for the 2 day thing,food should only be required for Saturday and maybe we could contact some of the local places like Ihop for a group discount for Sunday. I'll be volunteering if my back is completely healed along with my little cousin that was there this past May. I ran into a guy up here that has an outdoor cooling business that could assist with misting fans and misters to go along the awning so we can have a cooling station.

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
Event date in 2013 is May 11th

Just in case, I just called and placed an additional day on our reservation of the Park in Belton. We now have the Park for the 11th & 12th if we need it. However, if I cannot give her concrete information by next week, I'll have to go ahead and post up the money for a 2-day reservation, or give her my word that we will, indeed, take the 2-day rental. The bottom line is that she will hold the 2-days on our word until next April, but will look very unkindly on us canceling the 2nd day at the last minute..........................Ken :beer:

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
One or 2 days, either is fine but cooler is better. I know some didn't show because of the heat and others left early?
And the track has to have a heads up as well.
Donny

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't worry MR. OLD Geezer...we definitely will not be getting the cart before the horse here. This poll is just to gauge the interest in a two day event. Even if the overwhelming majority wants a two day event, if the volunteers and the money are not available to make it a quality two day event, we will NOT do a 2 day. I'm sure we can all agree that we do not want to sacrifice quality for quantity. With that being said, if we still keep to the same activities we have crammed into one day and stretch it into two days, it would certainly make for a more relaxed pace for both the participants and the volunteers. Just a little food for thought. :beer:

·
Registered
1972 El Camino SS Tribute
437 Posts
Institutional Knowledge Question

Being a relatively new NECOA member, I have a question regarding the date for Belton. Are we tied to the May timeframe due to availability of Confederate Park or some other compelling reason? Were other time frames during cooler temps considered? Can any of the original Belton planners shed some insight on how the May date was arrived at?

My questions are obviously tied to my aversion to extended periods in the sun (am currently taking medications that make me prone to heat exhaustion). I was talking to a guy at the ACES Midwest Regional in Kansas City last year who told me that when they changed their date from mid-August to late-September a couple years ago, their attendance went up by 15-20 %.

I could be wrong but I am guessing that more members would favor the two day event if it were scheduled during a cooler time frame.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Fred, the 11th/12th is two weeks earlier than last year. I believe that's when it was originally scheduled, BUT, the track was already taken for then. And, yes, meds and the sun don't always work together. Ask my arms about it. I always forget the blocker.:dontknow:

Beastie, I agree that Sat is the only day we have to worry about for preparing food, and it would also be Sat if it's only one day. Everyone should be aware that if racing is to be done on Sun, they would have to check out of their rooms prior to going to the track. Don't know if anyone thought of that or not.

Also, Ken/Glenn, it needs to be decide what the fee for the event will be for registration to the event. Personally, I think it should be $25, and that would cover more things that individuals won't have to furnish out of their own pockets when there, or before hand (like what the planners have probably done). I realize that times are not the greatest, but if everyone knew/knows what the cost will be, it'd surely make it easier when the time comes to pay the fee. Sooo, that would be another vote to take care of. :beer:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, Ken/Glenn, it needs to be decide what the fee for the event will be for registration to the event. Personally, I think it should be $25, and that would cover more things that individuals won't have to furnish out of their own pockets when there, or before hand (like what the planners have probably done). I realize that times are not the greatest, but if everyone knew/knows what the cost will be, it'd surely make it easier when the time comes to pay the fee. Sooo, that would be another vote to take care of. :beer:
...and that is a question that we will deal with pending the outcome of the 2 day vs. one day. The reason being is that expenses vary depending on weather we do a 2 or 1 day.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Beepster , I gots a question .... now with that Initial $25.00 registeration fee your asking for , now is that per car OR per member regardless how many cars they bring ?? Because IF I bring two cars , Mrs. Geezer will drive one AND she ain't a member of the N.E.C.O.A. but their my cars and just my membership ARE FAMILY MEMBERS AUTOMATICALLY GRAN-FATHERED IN THE CLUB OR NOT ?? .... Those of us who MIGHT bring two cars then we're looking at $50.00 per member IF its $25.00 X 2 .... If you could please claify this for me , it would be most appreciated , Most Venerable Wise One :dontknow: ... Because I'm hopping I can bring two cars next year BUT I'm also looking at my budget for that weekend too , for gas back & forth , room , meals , racing fees and registration .... AND as an added activity on Sat. afternoon after all the door prizes are gone , we could have a Q & A / Tech Session by some of our more experienced members on problems we have with our cars from time to time ..... Just curious & just my .02 cents ...... Thanks El Fartisimo aka Mr. Old Geezer :nanawrench:

G

·
I think the fee should be 15 per car,not per person. The reason I say 15 is because from the earnings report,we didn't do too bad as far as park rental,food and prizes. 25.00 per car might be a bit much since many members,including me were slapped with a track admission that is actually more than the show. I think I was charged 25 at the track so 25.00 at the show would be a bit out of reach since we would be out $50.00 in two days,plus the gas,hotel rental and other expenses members encounter trying to get down there. I know for sure it cost me almost 100 to fill up with Premium to get there,so for members bringing two cars for the show and track,its gonna be a rough weekend.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.