El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old u joint wasn’t coming out, so naturally I grabbed a bigger hammer instead of finding someone with a press. Well, the outside edge that retains the c clip got smashed down a little bit. Wondering what you guys would do in this scenario…
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Plant Wood Gas

·
Registered
668 Posts
You may try taking out the u-joint and then use like a dime, nickel, quarter size metal to slowly make it consistent for size all the way around the c-clip area. Not sure, but do they also make u-joint with the inside retention for the u-joint regarding your driveshaft?

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I’m just going to take it to the driveline shop on Monday before I ruin it any further. I’m pretty good at breaking things. I’m not even sure the u-joint was the cause for the vibration yet. Either u-joints, or the new ring and pinion. I guess I’ll figure out which one it is soon.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,472 Posts
Pull the ujoint apart. Pain, but still doable. Find a socket that barely fits down that side of the collar shaft. Piece of rigid metal pipe through the collar and whack it hard on an anvil or other unforgiving surface. The socket will bend the dip out. Essentially it's the same as taking a dent out of a body panel, from behind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts