El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to purchase a battery for my 72 ss Elko, any thoughts on a good long lasting one with good CCA. All feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
wants you to sign in to tri 5. com before you can read it
Sorry, I didn't know it would require that. I changed the link to give you the entire magazine. The article starts on page 70.

Edit: It still didn't work but have it fixed now finally.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My Elky came with an Interstate and I’ve been happy with prior Interstate batteries in other cars I’ve owned.

@roger1 Totally agree. Odyssey is the way to go. AGM. Sears used to sell Odyssey made batts under the Diehard Platinum line but no more....they lasted too long!

The US military, police, emergency vehicles, mariners, RVs, overlanders, etc will run Odys. It’s amazing...boats tanks planes helicopters run Odys.

I’m running Ultima Deep Cycle Blue Top in my Jeep TJ. My Son runs an Ultima Red Top in his Stang GT.

Both of these cars needed new batts at the same time! Murphy’s Law. The Jeep had the Platinum DH (10 yrs old) and the GT the Motorcraft OEM. Due to costs and a lack of funds, I went Ultima. But would’ve preferred Odys
12B12468-4518-4616-988E-33566A1E4584.jpeg

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a GM AC Delco 78DTPS battery from a local Chevy dealer for my 69 El Camino. It was under $100. It has the top and side cable mounts in case you want to run accessories like an amp without having to connect all those wires to the top (UGLY). I drive my car every day and have had no issues cranking in winter or summer for 2 years. I use the Interstate battery in the 69 Coronet R/T. Both are good but the AC Delco was quite a lot cheaper for some reason.

FYI, there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers of lead acid car batteries. If you buy Odyssey or other AGM battery then your charger must be capable of charging an AGM battery and AGM batteries don't like to be fully discharged.

·
Registered
338 Posts
@The mechanic Thanks for the info...wasn’t aware of that. I do like the top and side post on the AC. I recently installed the H4 Headlight upgrade kit. Y’all already know but the relay the kit brings is wired directly to the battery. It can get spiderwebie real quick with accessories.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
FYI, there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers of lead acid car batteries. If you buy Odyssey or other AGM battery then your charger must be capable of charging an AGM battery and AGM batteries don't like to be fully discharged.
Yes and Odyssey is very particular about what chargers should be used on their batteries. Trickle chargers as well.
They have a Certified Charger list on their website. One thing to note on that is that the popular Battery Tender brand of trickle charger is not on their list and should not be used on their batteries.

I own the 20 Amp Odyssey charger and it will work on all batteries. It will work as a trickle charger as well.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
@The mechanic Thanks for the info...wasn’t aware of that. I do like the top and side post on the AC. I recently installed the H4 Headlight upgrade kit. Y’all already know but the relay the kit brings is wired directly to the battery. It can get spiderwebie real quick with accessories.
You are right on about top and side posts being very handy. My Odyssey has that and I use both positive terminals.
You might be interested in how I wired my H4 headlights and other things as well. I installed a Blue Sea fuse hub under the hood and powered it with a 4Ga wire directly to the battery as you can see in the photo I posted above. It has 4 locations for Midi/Ami high power fuses and 6 locations for standard ATO type fuses. I'm using a 30A breaker for the headlights but you can see I had to modify the socket a little for it to fit into the fuse slot. The ones I have labeled Fuse Panel Feed and Ign Switch Feed are the wires that used to be powered from the fusible links at the starter. I've now got those on fuses. I also upgraded those wires from 12ga to 10ga. All my connections use uninsulated terminals and are crimped, soldered and covered with heavy wall adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
@roger1 Two things:
First thanks for posting that. I was getting ready to re-read up on the Blue Sea and dual battery set ups for my Bronco. I did a lot of research a fews back and did just that on a 1994 Landcruiser I used to have.

Second:
Y’all are not going to believe this BUT.....my Son took my SS Camaro to work. He had to jump it!!! I kid you not! I always carry cables in all my cars. I also have issues with the key fob...they’ve been recalled by GM. So I wasn’t sure. But it cranked when jumped. Had to guide him on the process because the battery is in the trunk but it has a remote positive connection for jumping. I’ll post update

I’m biting my nails waiting for his “fingers crossed” arrival.
Edit: he’s back in headed to NAPA. Hi

·
Registered
11 Posts
For me, it's a question of cost and longevity as I own 8-vehicles. Typically, I buy a Everstart battery from Wal Mart in the highest CCA I can get (700-850.) That has a current price of about 100-bucks (with an exchange.) That will have free replacement warranty for 3-years, with another 2-years prorated. At year 5, I pull it out of the main driver and put it in another vehicle that always has a battery tender hooked up to it. I just keep recycling batteries with the oldest one becoming the exchange unit for the new battery purchase every 5-years. I have one Optima Red-Top battery that I use as a jumper for other folks vehicles I have zero dollars in it as it was "one of those deals." I keep it on an Optima battery tender/charger and I've had it for 7-years. The oldest Everstart I have in a vehicle is now 16-years old and is on a battery tender as well. My issue with the newer AGM batteries is the initial cost and the fact that should you discharge one, you have to recharge it with a special charger or do a time consuming work-around. My method is not going to be for everyone but using it, I've never been faced with a no-start dead battery, regardless of the age of the battery or the ambient temperature. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought an Optima red top from Advance, and it wouldn't even turn my car over. Checked the volts and it had 5.6. Their website says it needs 10.6 to easily charge. I put a battery tender plus on it for 3 days and nothing. I then bought the optima charger, and nothing. I took it back today and got a good old Autocraft battery. Most batteries are made by Johnson Controls or Exide. Cranked right up!

·
Registered
338 Posts
@illmanners That’s a great idea. I ended up getting a NAPA Gold. I asked for an Ultima and they gave me the wrong one! Had to go back and ended up with what was in stock. Napa does not carry Interstate. What a fiasco. I was lucky to beat the rain storm that hit 5 mins after finishing up!

I’m getting a little disappointed in my local NAPA.
52ECC6F4-FF2B-4B00-B156-16204AFDCD78.jpeg
B31586CD-897E-4DA2-BA6E-4C38C30273C1.jpeg
B1DCD22E-D6DE-4FCD-B169-84AD20BC31D9.jpeg

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I like the low priced Car Quest battery, once I removed all the stickers it looked like an old battery...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts