El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, its been a long time since I have been on here but its good to be back. Going through many of the threads, its good to see some familiar names still around as well as all the new ones.

In 2018 somebody stole my 1923 Model T and 79 Elky. long story short, I got the El Camino back. She was gone for about 2 months and thought they would have some fun with her. They screwed up the paint MY PAINT that took a great amount of time and effort and dented in the rear driver side quarter panel. Luckily I think ill be able to work some magic on it. Stole the Holley that was perfectly tuned and replaced it with a Rochester... sorry you Rochester fans out there but, no thanks. Great carb, not for me. Damaged the steering column, and the list goes on...

Given the current issues we are all facing, I have grown incredibly bored and decided I would like to accomplish the build I always wanted for my elky.

This is probably my first post since 2016 and unfortunately its probably one that has been asked several times over AND if that is the case and I just scrolled over it, please just attach the link and I will abandon the post.

I've been down this road before a couple times and before I start searching junk yards, I would like to see if it makes the most sense to just bite the bullet and buy a complete rear end, ready to go, built how I want it. Price has a little to do with it, but this "wish list" is getting quite large.

Have any on here purchased a complete rear end ready to bolt in? If so, which did you choose and why? Even if you know someone who has is helpful.

Do you prefer the 9" or 12 bolt? (I don't ever plan on exceeding 600 hp to ground) I am currently at ~400HP at the crank with a TH350. (I will likely go Gear Vendor, which I will research threads before starting one on that topic)

Not concerned with gear ratios at this point and will determine once I have made the call on the GVO. Likely wont change gears around often.

I will likely go with truetrac but again, I still have some homework I will do.

Any and all advice, success, or horror stories are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
depending on how you want to do it, there is also the option of installing a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer/Mustang/etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts