• Sunoco

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • 7/11

Votes: 2 3.9%

Best gas to use?

7K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  elkper1771 
G
#1 ·
I know everyone here uses different gas and even different octanes.
There's places like Chevron,Texaco,Exxon,Shell,Racetrac,Quicktrip,7/11,Valero(BP),Fina,Sunoco, but whats the best and whats the big hoopla about 91 octane?

I use 91 but recently downgraded to 89 octane,but what do you guys use in your daily driver/high performance rides?

#4 ·
I use 93 Shell in my mowers and such and 93 Exxon in all of my cars. I have instructed my family to NEVER use Citgo because of Hugo Chavez, the commie Pres of Venezuela. If everyone stopped using them he'd have to pull out of the U.S. :texas:

#17 ·
You may not like my answer but I sell a lot of material to the refineries here in Wilmington CA. It's all regulated and a lot of the different stations trucks pull out of the same refinery. Octane is what it is.

#20 ·
I won't buy Citgo for the reasons Jarhead stated. As a former ESSO service station dealer(1960's) I am partial to Exxon. Many people are unaware that many of these companies share certain refinery operations and resources. They often buy and borrow from the competition when certain conditions require it.
If you want the good stuff find a Sunoco race fuel outlet or buy VP racing fuel. Very costly.Very good! My former racing partner runs a fully worked out 468 BB in a tube chassis 73 Vette race car in the street just for kicks and shows. The car ran 8.80's.He pays $12 bucks a gallon for VP. Insane, but a lot of fun. Here in florida it is easy to register such a car. Fastest car I ever rode in.

#21 ·
I don't know the politics of the fuel industry, but I DO know that here in the Waco area, I've worked for Shell, and Valero and they use the same distributor--Mission Refineries (I believe that's the name) go around and fill up all the stations with the same fuel. Shell, Valero, Brookshires, and Raceway all are selling the same gas. Just my .02c...

#22 ·
Marathon wasn't on your list, lots of those in my area, so that's what I normally buy, their prices are generally good around here. Always use nothing but 89 oct & my '87 305 runs just fine, doesn't ping or knock at all. Use to buy BP a lot until the ********* bought the place. I used my card at the pump once there back in '08 & the machine was out of paper, so I had to go inside to get a receipt. I kindly asked for a receipt & told the middle eastern behind the counter that the pump was out of paper and he tells me very rudely "You push wrong button!" I told him no I didn't, you could actually hear the machine spinning like it was giving a receipt, but nothing came out. I asked again nicely please just give me a receipt. The problem was he didn't want to get off his butt and run his cash machine. What a jerk, haven't been back to that place since! Sadly, BP can kiss my...I'll buy somewhere else thank you! Shell around here is almost always the highest price in town and the first to raise their prices every week.

#26 ·
Not true. They don't own much, so far as I know. That's one of their problems; they have to ship their oil to the U.S. to be refined, because we own the only refineries that can handle their sour crude. In fact, they and Mexico are allied in production and use the production to control refineries outside the U.S.

Venezuela has a problem in that their production has fallen quite a bit since 1990, mainly due to poor production practices and employee revolts.

The DO own Citgo, which supplies 7-11 stores, and they have a contract to supply some gas to Valero.

G
#25 ·
I just filled up with Chevron but I always find myself using whatever that's a good price. Compared to QT or Racetrac,it seems the Chevron burns slower and puts out a little more engine power. Seems cheaper gas makes my 383 run sluggish.

#27 · (Edited)
When I get orders from the refineries down here in So. Cal. the only ones here are ARCO and Chevron but we have most of the big boy named stations here. The gas is all the same IT'S DISTRIBUTED UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES. except otherwise stated by octane.:beer: IT'S THE SAME WITH GROCERY STORES THERES THREE BIG PLAYERS AND THEY OWN MOST OF THE OTHER CHAINS UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES.

G
#28 ·
Running Chevron mid grade now. I filled up till the pump stopped at a little less than $67.00. The gauge went over "F" but now I wonder if it will go under "E" when it completely runs out of gas?:dontknow:

#29 · (Edited)
Two questions. Citgo is owned by Chevaz, but so is the oil imported and refined in the US. It's good to get rid of Citgo, but why stop there??? #2: Are you aware that ALL gasoline in an area comes from a fuel storage farm, and that ALL stations receive the same gasoline? The additives are added as the delivery truck dumps fuel into the storage tanks. :poke:

The only decent additive is Techtron.

#31 ·
Been following along but not sure what you guys are saying? Is the general consensus that higher octane burns slower and gives better MPG's?
Gas here is just around $4/gal for 87 octane and at least $0.20 higher for 93. Then you have the credit card scam. They add anywhere from 20 cents to $2.00 per gallon for credit card use! Stations on the parkways are close to $5 a gallon.
Just about all my cars run fine with 87 octane. The only 2 that don't like it are my 73 caddy with a 472 and my 71 torino gt with a 351C 4bbl.
My elky with a 350 300 HP crate engine runs fine with the 87 octane. It does use alot of it though. Not sure if paying more per gallon for a higher slower burning octane would be any better. Might just come out the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.