El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found the intake I'm gonna use what the best gasket rtv to use the crate motor had a white type I've never seen

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I prefer GMS.........General Motors Sealant, available from any GM dealer. Thats the stuff!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the elderbrock work on the front and rear of the block where the intake meets it where there is no gasket thanks guys I love this site my wife has Facebook and I have this. Also need the order to tighten the intake bolts on a vortec manifold I have the specs but not the order. A few more question but ill start a new thread for them :You_Rock:

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,578 Posts
SBC intake gaskets are typically a 4 piece set, with the two intake-to cylinder head gaskets and two rubber block rail gaskets. Many builders toss the rail gaskets and substitute a bead of good silicone sealant. I've done it both ways and prefer the the rail gaskets on a street motor, but I glue them on the block side with a bit of gasket adhesive such as Gasgacinch or Permatex and bury the tabs where they interlock with the side gaskets in a small dollop of silicone. GMS is very good stuff. I've used a bunch of it over the years, but I've also used the Permatex silicones from the local parts store with good success. When you're maintaining a race car, you're always taking stuff apart and gluing it back together.

Bill

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks billy. And 87 I gotta manual but it does me no good because the motor is a vortec and the tyranny Is a 7004 so Im lost I have the book from gmt on the motor with the torque specs but not the order

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
to seal the intake correctly you need silicone and a sealer for the intake ports like red permatex or gaskasinch,dont use silicone around the intake ports as gas eats up silicone. and will compromise the seal in time and stay away from felpro intake gaskets as they leak ofer time.if you pull a year old set of felpros off you will see they have been leaking.i use felpro gaskets for everything except the intake. i use mr gasket style intake gaskets,engine teck or the cheap looking gaskets and have no leaks. they are more pliable and seal better longer, the felpro is too hard and doesnt conform well for long

1 - 13 of 13 Posts