El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 Caballero Demon (SS equivalent)
It is time for me to start thinking about replacing the suspension bushings. I plan on keeping the original suspension but need to upgrade the bushings. I plan on replacing the springs with the MOOG standard OEM equivalent replacement springs. I have Delco shocks(non air) for the rear and Kyb for the front. I plan on using Air Lift bags that go inside the springs. A Jeep steering shaft will be installed.
Is Rock Auto a good place to get the bushing kit? Any other suggestions.
I am retired and am on a budget doing what I can afford to as needed The Caballero is my "GO TO" vehicle when the others give me problems. I need to make it a more comfortable ride and keep it reliable. It will be a summer daily driver here in Michigan. I have a 2004r waiting for me to rebuild and eventually the 305 will be replaced with something I will build. A new paint job will be in the futiure with some surface rust taken care of during or after the suspension work is done. Body is overall solid , rear crossmember solid. Been driving it for 7 years and it is time to treat it like I intended. I dont post often but enjoy reading what others are doing.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I like Rock Auto.
I also like NAPA. There are a few within a 20 mile radius of my home. They have 2 lines of pricing on some of their parts. Performance, and economy.
PEP Boys is a valid option. They're much better on the phone or in person. Their website is difficult to navigate for parts. The counter people are usually knowledgeable.
If I'm sure about the part and part number, I'll give a look on Amazon sometimes you can save a buck. It always pays to shop around if you're on a strict budget like me.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I went with Moog for my suspension bushings made with rubber, not the harder materials such as poly and I've been happy with them. The hard part for me was finding a big press to install them and eventually had to pay a shop to do it.

Rick

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I’d suggest an in person visit to Napa or a locally owned parts store. Try to go when they’re not busy with a written list. If you find the right counterperson, he or she should either go item by item with you or take your list and call you back. This is the kind of big list where it’s easy to make mistakes, so you’re better off buying local from someone you trust instead of online. You may pay more but knowledge and service are valuable. And get Moog.
Patrick

·
Registered
67 El Camino
116 Posts
I went with Moog in the front that I purchased from OPGI,and pressed em in with my log splitter.some pipes,ease and patience,was pretty simple...but went with poly for the rear control arms and body bushings that I got on eBay for a good price to save money like dmosko says...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I picked 4 sets of Moog ones up from
Amazon for $16 a pair, a $ more than Rockauto but that included shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts