El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished putting a new GMPP 350/290hp in my 66. I kept the Powerglide as it had been rebuilt approx 3k miles prior, with new torque converter.

Now that I've been driving a couple thousand miles on this new combo I am thinking about an OD transmission swap.

Seems like that would be either a 200 4R or a 700 R4.:dontknow:

Anyone have any insight to pitfalls with either of these options?

Street use, daily stuff mostly.

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
You will probably need to think about a rear gear change to go with the OD. All of that will wake it up though.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 200r 4 is the same size as the pg, the cooler lines need manipulation to hook up.the driveshaft is the same.the mount is in the 400 position. 2.70s first gear,30% OD . the 700r4 is a bit longer,the drive shaft needs to be shortened 2 3/4 in.the mount is in the same place as the pg,but you need to watch for pan interferance on some crossmembers. the cooler lines are the same as pg.you will need to wire the lock up converter function,very simple to do there are kits from gm or other sites on the web.hit up trany mike for his recomendations.the 700 has a 3.06 first gear and 27% od.lastly you will need a 200r4/700r4 specific tv cable and bracket as the tv cable adjustment is critical to these trans.adjusted wrong and you can kill on easy,and put as large a cooler as you can fit in your car.

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
Do a 200, I hated the 700R. It's a marshmellow in second gear!!!!
While doing burnouts the trans would not hold first and it would sit and spin both back tires all day at low RPMs!!!!
I think Mike will agree about doing the 200
Donny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts