El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Deputy Director Region 8
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of bumpers I want to clean up and sell,, what is the best way to clean and shine up the chrome?? Is Flitz still out there? If so where can I get it still?? I plan on very fine steel wool and them polish,, but it has been years since I have messed with this,, so what has worked for you and what kind of products did you use,,, Thanks as always for the help,, Matty man:You_Rock:

· Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,625 Posts
There are a bunch of good metal polishes available OTC. Flitz and Simichrome are good, as well as Blue Magic, but all quite pricey. Mothers, Meguiars and Collinite's Metal Wax are more reasonable and all good. Collinite is an effective polish with Collinite's legendary wax protection qualities, so it's my go-to. The tip on using #0000 steel wool for chrome and stainless surfaces is a good one. Even better is brass wool if your local hardware store carries it.

Bill

· Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
I just use the same polish and wax that I use on the paint. What makes the difference for me I think is I use one of those professional orbital polishers on the chrome (the bumpers are big enough for it ...).

· Registered
28 Posts
I use a mothers rubbing compound. It worked great for me
I agree with this i use mothers rubbing compound and then a really good rim wax, can't remember the name for it buts purple and has sweet smell to it. My bumpers before were hazy and dull. After the mothers and the rim wax they look like mirrors.I used the same method on dull and hazy cragers that came with the car when I bought it. The pics are little dark it starting raining really heavy so i took the pics inside the garage.

· ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
You know me these were rusted a bit and I used Aircraft Paint Remover and some 0000 steel wool then chrome polish & Fitz cloth ball.

· Registered
28 Posts

· Registered
1,740 Posts
Bon-Ami and Barkeeper's Friend work well on: chrome, stainless, aluminum, and glass--yes, glass. Neither of these will scratch glass. They also clean whitewalls and... Raised White Letters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.