El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to Tidy up the wiring under the steering column? Here is a picture of what mine looks like.
IMG_20200325_144059255.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That's a reasonable thought. I've considered using split conduit and then use zip ties to hold them together. I appreciate the opinions expressed here. Thanks again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm in the middle of redoing my wiring right now and I purchased an adhesive fabric wire loom tape that I'll be tidying everything up with once sorted. A lot of modern cars use the stuff for interior wiring.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Pick up a good soldering gun, remove those crimps and solder the wires then clean and tape them while the joints still hot.. Make sure you cut the tape with scissors never rip the tape off...

Tie wrap those wires with black ties and pick up the under column plate that fits over that space..

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I haven't did soldering before, so I'll grab an old piece of wire and practice on it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you. I haven't did soldering before, so I'll grab an old piece of wire and practice on it.
Word of advice for soldering in tight spaces like under the dash, put something down so as to not inevitably drip melted solder into the carpet and pick up a helping hands to hold the wires together while soldering. If you want to do a lot of it maybe get a decent soldering station as well with a sponge to clean the tip and adjustable temperature range. Also getting leaded solder helps a lot so as to not have to mess with flux.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. That's good information, I'll have to practice using before I try it. I was wondering what I would have to put on the new carpet so hot solder wouldn't ruin it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A junk towel or t shirt or something to catch any drips. The solder won't burn or melt the carpet but it solidifies around the fibers and makes it impossible to get out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts