El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm restoring a 1971 Chevy el camino and the headlights are really dim for the roads i drive does anyone know of any headlights that will be brighter and mount right up without cutting anything off the original front end or changing a wiring system hardcore?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Tyler.. welcome the forum.
You can buy a set of HID's to replace the sealed beams. you will need new headlight housings because the HID's will have an H4 style bulb. This is one available from Summit. Around $22 each. There are projector and Halo style housings as well. It's your choice on which type you get.

Image not availablePhotos not available for this variation

this whole kit is $122 on ebay. I cannot attest to the quality.

Anzo USA Headlight Round 7" Dia Clear Style Clear Glass Lens Chrome Housing Univ
summitracing_sales (493988
)
99.8% Positive feedback

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I suggest you update your headlamp harness with a modern relay controlled harness that delivers full battery voltage to your headlamps. This eliminated running all that current through your headlight switch and dimmer. Totally plug and play easy installation. Has it's own fuses and modern ceramic filled bulb connectors. Thus will help power any upgrades to your headlamps.
I did thus last week in 1 1/2 hours. My lights are much brighter and no more overheated switches and wires.
I bought my setup from VH Coach works in Minnesota. Fit like a glove. $100.00 all USA top quality.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Going to H4's and H7's was my reason to replace harness with relay setup. The OEM 64 harness, being old, thin wires and a strain on the switch, made me do it. My Cibie lamps use 60 & 90 watts. That will quickly fry the switch. The guy custom made the harness used 10 & 12 gauge wire, soldered and heat shrunk connections, 2 Helps relays( high grade),separate fuses for high and low and really nice great resistant connectors. Very classy workmanship. No cutting into old harness. New system plugs into one headlamp connector to pick up signals for relays which direct power right from the battery to new harness
Totally satisfied!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Don't even think of going with any other bulbs without first installing a relay harness!

But, you'll see a remarkable difference just doing that. ANd watch out for those HIDS --- not all of them are exactly legal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Going to H4's and H7's was my reason to replace harness with relay setup. The OEM 64 harness, being old, thin wires and a strain on the switch, made me do it. My Cibie lamps use 60 & 90 watts. That will quickly fry the switch. The guy custom made the harness used 10 & 12 gauge wire, soldered and heat shrunk connections, 2 Helps relays( high grade),separate fuses for high and low and really nice great resistant connectors. Very classy workmanship. No cutting into old harness. New system plugs into one headlamp connector to pick up signals for relays which direct power right from the battery to new harness
Totally satisfied!
Hey LockJaw, this what you got for your ride?
https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/item?itemId=390600074820&rd=vi

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Evan, you have the right seller, but the wrong item. You need a four headlamp harness. Check out item # 390607012567. This is what I bought. You should message the owner/seller. His name is Baron Von Heels. He treated me very well otherwise I would not recommend him. He made mine to order. I measured out everything with him. he added a few inches on all lengths to give me enough latitude to mount the relays where I wanted to ( on leading edge of pass side inner fender, about 15 inches behind backside of battery.
If you give him my name he would probably be able to duplicate it perfectly. You will get two relays, two fused circuits, four porcelain headlamp connectors, all very beautifully wired, soldered and wrapped. He delivered my item in 5 days.
James Stedman
Brooksville, Florida.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Happy yo help another 64 liver!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I talked to Baron at Mean Green Industries too. I need this setup for my 72 Elky. He didn't have one for the 72 Elky or Chevelle. So I gave him the measurements and he's making a custom harness for me. It will also be his template for other 68-72 Elky's & Chevelle's.
Baron is a real nice guy to work with.
I'd recommend him, his product, as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agreedi contacted him last night after James recommendation and he responded this morning and told me to call him and he'd get the ball rolling

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jim, it's all virtually the same deal. A few inches difference here and there. Check out the item I mentioned to Evan. This seller delivered a very superb product. That is hard to find these days. His harness is furnished with heavier wire and Hella relays. My lights were noticeably brighter with NO heat at my switch. I installed my harness in less than 2 hours with NO splicing. It plugs into one of your existing bulb connectors.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
My CIBIE lamps fit right into my buckets. I don't know know why you would need to cut anything. They fit into mine with no sweat. I am only using them on outer with both beams. I have tried a few combos. Is the inner hole in the bucket too small and interfering with the rubber boots?:whaasup:

I just eyeballed your lamps. The back is entirely different from my antique CIBIE units. I see now what you mean. I haven't seen lamps like that before.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I did my '81 a couple years ago. All 10 & 12 Ga wires, soldered connections, heat shrink tubing where I could and liquid rubber where I couldn't. The relays are mounted on a steel panel I located where the fuel vapor canister used to be. DS just behind the header panel. I pulled most of the original wiring and used the high & low beam wires to power the relays. High temp connectors to the bulbs. Power comes directly off the battery and runs in the wireway across the header panel. The larger wires really fill that sucker up. Installation time was only about an hour since I had everything pre-assembled and tested before hand.

The only thing I would have done differently would be to replace all the old wires and connectors to the lights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts