El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just finished upgrading my 454 in my fifth generation with brodix race rite heads and a full roller valve train. It's a tight fit, because I kept my ac, but it was worth the trouble. It is everything that all of you say it is, and it won't pass up a gas station, but I love it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished upgrading my 454 in my fifth generation with brodix race rite heads and a full roller valve train. It's a tight fit, because I kept my ac, but it was worth the trouble. It is everything that all of you say it is, and it won't pass up a gas station, but I love it..
So upgrading to a Big Block you can keep the AC? I figured the box on the firewall would be in the way

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The way I like to go is 454 but with low compression, like 8.5-9.. That way I can run the initial up to 18-20, shorten the mechanical advance to 14 and have it all in by cruising rpm, remove the vacuum advance can. This makes for a real snappy street motor, that starts nicely, doesn't ping on 87 and has a lot of off idle torque.. This is in my 69 el Camino with a Hurst Autostick I shifted Th-400, 2:87 rear end.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts