El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody successfully added a large diameter (1/2") pickup to thier fuel tank? I am in the process of replacing all my fuel lines and this seems to be a major block. My parts house can't find a fitting big enough to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

64SS427

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think summit has a part that welds to the bottom of the tank with set ups for large fuel lines. Part # cee-4040 competition engineering fuel tank sump kit. It's only 3\8 though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now why didn't I think of that? I was trying to go in through the stock pickup/sending unit assembly, but did not want to disturb the existing sending unit for the fuel gauge. Now I just have to find somebody crazy enough to weld on a gas tank!!!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember see an article about this in CarCraft. Couldn't have been more than a month or two back.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody have that article laying around? I let all my subscriptions go when I started rebuilding my car..............finances and all

·
Registered
22 Posts
eek!

For the love of God please empty the gas tank before doing a weld !!
I'd be crazy enough to do it though : )

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I'll empty the tank, but the fumes are far more flammable than the actual gas itself. I just can't weld, never learned how.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After you empty the tank you should fill it with water to weld it (no fumes). Any competent radiator shop should be able to weld it. Also have you thought about a new tank to modify or maybe a fuel cell?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't want to go with a fuel cell, as my car is built to look like it came from the factory with the 427. A new fuel tank is costly, especially just to cut up. I used to have a spare out of a chevelle with the filler bhind the license plate, but that went down the road years ago. Now I just want what I have to work and hide every indicator that it was not built this way.

Devin aka 64SS427

1 - 9 of 9 Posts