El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 elcamino, stock drum brakes all around. I am converting the front to power disc and tubular upper/lower control arms, but the rear will remain stock drums. I am having some rally wheels made with custom backspacing for the rear so i can fit as much tire back there as possible. I figured after measuring all points of the wheel well that a 5 3/4 backspacing for a 15x8" wheel(9" overall width) would center the wheel in the well, but i forgot to consider the lower shock mount (like a dummy). My classic parts supplier Jim Dyer classic chevy in stockton ca said that he has 15x8's with a 5 inch back spacing used successfully, and mentioned the shock mount to me...(boy am i glad he did, cause i can still have the spacing changed as stockton wheel hasnt started on my wheels as of yet) BUT, has anyone used that much backspacing (5&3/4") on an A body with my set up in the rear and been successful? Should i just go with the 5 inch backspacing thats been tried and tested to work already and call it good? I need to call the wheel shop tomorrow if i want to get it changed before they start fabricating. HELP!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just installed 15x8 1/2" Centerline Convo Pro's with 5 1/2" backspacing on my '67. I'm using a 295/50/15 radial. No interference issues at all.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I am running Weld wheels on the rear with 51/2 spacing 15x 8 with 255r70's. I added 1/4" spacers to center them perfectly. On both of my 64's the driver's side is a tiny bit closer to the fender. Haven't a clue why

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I am very close to the frame with 51/2" backspacing. That is why I added spacers. Every 64. I have had or worked on was closer to the frame on pass side and closer to fender on drivers side. 53/4" is going to be pretty close depending on tire section width. Measure both sides to see if the clearance is identical.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its funny that you mention the different spacing from the driver side to the passenger side, because i have seen that same thing on mine. Could it be something as simple as controll arm bushings wearing un-evenly due to the limited slip diff putting more stress on one side or the other? Or was it designed that way?

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jeff, it is a mystery. My friends 65 Goat is the same. I have checked everything that could affect the spacing. My guess is that the mid 60 A bodies were made that way. The differrnce is about 1/2 ". I know you will be good eith 5". You should be well ckear of the shock mountJames

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Can you tell me how much your wheelmaker charges for a pair of 15x8silver rally wheels with 51/2" spacing? I might buy a pair for my red 64 if the orice is right. I installed a 668 rear in it which is a total of one inch wider. 5" don't fit it well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stockton wheel,in stockton california can do custom backspacing -using all new material for $95 each. The only thing i dont care for is that the wheels have the multi-bolt pattern centers. (209)464-7771 or 1-800-395-9433. The wheels are also bare metal, so the painting is up to you. I prefer to not have that grey/silver paint that they come with from other vendors, because the sticker on them sais that that paint is not a rust inhibitor or protector, so, basically you need to have them stripped anyway in order to paint.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, almost forgot. www.stocktonwheel.com. They had no problem promising a 5-3/4 backspacing and from what they were showing me in their shop, more backspacing than that is possible. They do really good work there and have been around for a long long time

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Do you mean the wheels they make are "unilug" pattern ( oblong holes? or 10 holes to accommodate differem
nt patterns? The unilug setup is opoor for a high horsepower car.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone reading this, its now a couple months later, and after going with the 5" backspacing on the rear, i now wish that i would have gone with a 5-3/4" backspacing because my 235/60-15's don't have even half an inch between the wheel well on the driver side. i have a knuckl's width on the passenger side and barely a finger tip's worth on the driver. it rubs when i go around corners faster than 10mph. And i still have over an inch and a half clearance between the rim and lower shock mount (which was the smallest clearance spot i was dealing with, and the whole reason for choosing the 5" backspacing). So, if you go with a 5-3/4" backspacing on the rear, you'll be just fine and have good spacing between the sidewall and fender, and still have clearance at the lower shock mount.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I think what got you in trouble is the tire width. You posted that you eere using a measurement of 9". Not sure what size you are running, but most large tires mounted on 8" rims have an actual "section" width of at least 10.2 inches. The 255r70's I run are 10.4 ".
Like you, I did a lot of trial and error. Now that I have these mounted I need to separate the shock lower bolt to drop the axle far enough to get clearance whenever I need to remove/install wheels.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, my 235/60-15's, (the wheel itself is an 8" wheel, 9" overall) actually are EASIER to remove and install on the drums than the 205/75-14's!!! Go figure. It's that the wheel itself is bigger, and side-wall smaller,
and gives more clearance around the brake drum, when angled down to remove/install. I even used my angle grinder and removed about 1/2" of the inner fender lip to keep it from doing some nasty cheese-grater action on my new tires. I wish i would have gone with a 5&3/4" back-spacing after all, as that would have given me more fender clearance, and also would have cleared the shock mount easily too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts