El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know i ask a lot of pretty stupid questions ,but what is that black cover over my carb air filter and stuff fot? can i take it off? i want to really get out all the grease and clean up my engine make it look good and was wonder why they cover up a nice engine with that dirty black cover

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
That is your air cleaner,it holds your air filter in place.For about $ 20 ,you can buy a pretty chrome air cleaner & filter.:nanawrench:

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Not a good idea. You need to filter the air to keep out dust and dirt (among other things). It makes your engine last longer. Dirt can be a killer to your engine.

Tim

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
yes, you need to have some sort of filter on there.

not many people know this, but years ago, they didn't have filters on engines like that. small rodents used to crawl into the carb and make their nest. when the vehicle was started, the lil critter would be sucked into the engine, requiring it to be disassembled in order to remove it. This is why they started putting filters on the carb. It is also where the term "mouse motor" originated. If you had a bigger carb, bigger critters could make their nest in there, which is where the term "rat motor" came from.

Now you know.

class dismissed

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
ya i know it holds the filter but i want to take it off all together
...you can take it off,but you better put one back on,not unless you want a real flame job,and thats no laughing matter..Theres a lot of aftermarket aircleaners out there,you just got to find the one you like.:beer:
:beer:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bigger is better on air filters, but you could try this if you are set on smaller

http://www.cobranda.com/stheaircl.html

:poke:
well its more of a matter that there are all thous tubes and stuff hooked up to the filter housing thing. it a i want to be able to see the filter and not have to have all the air go through the small hole on the end of it

·
6,292 Posts
well its more of a matter that there are all thous tubes and stuff hooked up to the filter housing thing. it a i want to be able to see the filter and not have to have all the air go through the small hole on the end of it
..And another thing to watch out for,is the base plate,the bottom half of the air cleaner,most aftermarket are set up for 4 barrels carbs. I don't know if they made any for a 2 barrel carb like the one you have.so,when your looking for an air cleaner,check the base plate and make sure it matches up with the top of the air horn on the carb. Nothing worst than buying something that don't fit.:beer:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Put the air cleaner back in, and flip the top cover upside down. You now have an open air cleaner for the awesome price of free. It sounds cool too!

·
6,292 Posts
Put the air cleaner back in, and flip the top cover upside down. You now have an open air cleaner for the awesome price of free. It sounds cool too!
..X2..(I forgot about that one. Thanks:beer:):beer:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
That was the 1st 'mod' I did when I bought my car. I bought a K&N filter and turned the lid upside down. It let's more air in, obviously, but the air it let's in is hot engine air. To me, its a equal trade. More cool noise but no more power. I'm thinking about buying a dual snorkle hat and running fresh air tubes to them. I know someone on here has them. If you do, please post a pic and vendor so I can buy one. Oops, sorry for the hijack.:texas:

·
Registered
134 Posts

Have you considered one like mine? $15 and it looks good when its polished up. Plus, it can fit any carb because it just rests on top of it. You may have to get a thinner filter though to clear your hood.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I went from something like this.....

to this for about $40......

the big air cleaner you got is easy to remove...
All you got to do is....
1.)take the heat riser off(the metal slinky lookin thing
2.)you can keep the breather from the valve cover, just face it torwards the new air cleaner

thats just about it. it makes it a whole lot easier to work on the car

·
6,292 Posts
...I think you want to run a filter on the breather,just for the simple reason is,it draws air into the crankcase from the PVC valve to the intake manifold.faceing it to the air filter won't do,and won't filter the air..sure,you can run without it,but,how much do you cherish your motor..:poke::dontknow:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went from something like this.....

http://playtoysclassiccars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/5745-Engine-3.jpg
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/images/b/2011/07/02/66352905/0_5739_Engine_2_AT.jpg

to this for about $40......
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/chevykid95/0428121918.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/chevykid95/0429121603.jpg

the big air cleaner you got is easy to remove...
All you got to do is....
1.)take the heat riser off(the metal slinky lookin thing
2.)you can keep the breather from the valve cover, just face it torwards the new air cleaner

thats just about it. it makes it a whole lot easier to work on the car
ok so what do it do with the stuff attached im cornfuzed

1 - 20 of 31 Posts