El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to do this for some time and I'm seeing it all around me more and more. I know a lot of the products that do this r plastic cap's but I have heard of a few other ways to accomplish this. Does anyone know of the best way to do this, u know with the tail, side markers and other lights being so unique on the 5th gen.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know but ill still do it for the look plus the cops really don't bother with it unless u did something else n they can stack it on the ticket. I dont want to make them so dark u cant see when i hit the break or blinker but more of a tint.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it makes sense they r in a highly visible spot :dontknow:

·
0 Posts
Browse the for sale area here on ECC. There's a member who sells lenses that cover those lights for like $20.
Don't be one of those guys who destroys these hard to find parts with paint.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need new rear lenses anyway they have a crack that the p.o. put a some kind of glue or somethin to hold them together. Thanks ill have a look after work.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I know but ill still do it for the look plus the cops really don't bother with it unless u did something else n they can stack it on the ticket. I dont want to make them so dark u cant see when i hit the break or blinker but more of a tint.
That is too funny. For the looks? What about the life saving function these lights were designed to provide for your family and mine on the dangerous rosds of America?
Not trying to start any trouble here, but when I see a vehicle with the lights blacked out, shaded or otherwise obscured I wonder what kind of nut is behind the wheel. What about the sage axiom that propels great engineers to design things:FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION?

Just sayin....

·
Registered
367 Posts
i agree with lockjaw. being a truck driver, i can't tell you the numbers of times that i've almost run in to the back of somebody who thought they were cool!!! just saying:beer::texas::dontknow:

·
0 Posts
I'm not against black lights but I think if he brought them,they're his and he can do whatever he wants to them. Besides if someone rear ends him,he's not at fault since the tail light actually works. If you can't see his lights,go around. Just Sayin....:texas:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guy's i hear u on the being able to see thoes ppl cuz i too drive all day for work and have delt wit some of these things. ive also have been wanting to mount a 3rd break light something like the bowtie or similar. keep in mind that im just thinking out loud n wanted options on whats out there n im glad to hear all complains about this cuz in the end who knows i might b the next one on here posting that my elky got wrecked cuz some soccer mom or teen didnt see me cuz they were on there cell.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I got a set of headlight covers once they were carbon look a like had small clear spots in them had to drive with brites on to see where i was going lasted a week maybe took them to a swap meet got reid of them

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I am not against customizing and styling auto. I just think we would all have a shot at living longer if our vehicles are easy to see and recognize no matter how dark or stormy.
The better way is to "french in" vented or louvered nacelles around the taillight that actually conceals the lamp but allows it's light to be visible from any angle. Like what George Barris used to id to old lkncolns and mercs.:beer:

·
Registered
342 Posts
i didnt touch the tail lights, but i did use the transparent black rattle can paint on the front marker/blinker lenses. they're still reflective and visible

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is EASY and wont forever damage your lamps... Im the production manager at a sign shop. I'm also a 3M Preferred Graphics Installer. I do custom work on vehicles daily... Since the lights on a 5thGen. come off so easly, riiiiiiiight? and they are FLAT... Put a 20-25% tint overlay.. go with either 3m brand or LLumar... I did this to a Co workers 06 silverado it LOOOOOKED MONEY :rose:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have two 60" LED light strips for rear lights. They connect to the 4-wire trailer pigtail. They are tucked under the tailgate. It gives the back end a real clean look. You really have to look close to see them. But, when lit up, they have more reflective power than the stock units.The front headlight units for the Choo-Choo nose were replaced with '02-'05 BMW 325i series 36 headlight units. The new look is awesome. Pics are posted on GBodyCentral.com.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dumd light backening

I agree with Locjaw, These vehicles were designed with a lot of thought for safety by having red taillights, clear headlights and amber markers that are visible, not tinted with some cheap paint or plastic covers. it really looks dumb and totally hard to see if the they are illuminated.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
El Caminos with the tail lights way down in the bumper are a bad design to begin with. A third brake light is what I installed, a 1/2inch wide LED strip inside of the top edge of the rear window.
Just picture the woman driver that's TAIL-GATING you, while blabbing on her cel phone, or putting on make-up on her way to the office, with you ahead of her, and your tail lights can be lower than the front of her hood. At least that's my take on it......not picking on women particularly, as men do crap like that too.......( but not the make-up part hopefully:smileyb:)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts