El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look'ee what I got in the mail today from LSCustoms (Skip,,,,over on G-body Forum). A great seller and a good guy!

I'm a happy man!

Doug

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front spindles, dual piston calipers, and hubs are off of a 1998 & up 2wd Blazer. Everything from the spindles out (from the Blazer) bolts on in place of the original trucklet front brakes.
The rear are from a 2001 LS1 Camaro and bolt on after a slight (but permanent!) modification to each end of the rear axle tube flanges (that the original brake backing plates mount to). You have to cut the top of the flage off, enlagre the two bottom mounting holes, and drill two new upper holes, to be able to then bolt on the Camaro rear caliper mount (which includes the E-brake shoes).
The rear Camaro rotors are 11" dia. and the Blazer front rotors are 10.82" dia. (with the Blazer spindles and hubs it's possible to upgrade to bigger Vette brakes just by changing the caliper mounting brackets (the brackets can be bought or home made).
Three things I must tell you: 1) This post is just an rough explanation! 2) There are step by step threads (on just about every g-body site I looked at while doing my brake research) and even some videos! 3) I'll be doing a build thread on my trucklet (the brakes will be awhile later, after, I get my frame restored).
Thanks for looking!
Doug

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
awesome way to go there Doug. I thought putting 12" Caprice brakes on mine was cool, but this is way-cool........

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought putting 12" Caprice brakes on mine was cool, but this is way-cool........
Yeah, I was looking into the Caprice spindle for bigger brakes too. I didn,t think I wanted to get even worse bumpsteer and ackerman issues just to get bigger brakes and, I knew I couldn't afford the SC-AFX spindles either! With the Blazer 2wd brakes, use the same upper and lower front control arm geomrtry, same ball joint taper, and you can even use the Blazer frame brake hose to hard line bracket! The only drawback to the Blazer setup is the cost of replacing the sealed hubs (quality bearing hubs can run over $100.00 each).

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i did the caprice brake upgrade and have no bump steer problems ,i reused the stock upper arms.the steering is much quicker because of the b body spindles shorter steer arm compared to the g bogy one

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carl,
I'm really glad you're happy with your Caprice brake swap. We're all after the same thing, which is (IMO) to enjoy our rides. I've had my '80 El Camino for 20 years and the two things I've never liked about it was its braking and its handling. I had pretty much settled on the Caprice brakes but, still was lost on the handling. So I bought two books! One was "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn and "How to make your muscle car handle" by Mark Savitske. After reading about the A/G bodies steering and handling short comings in Mr. Savitske's book and more defined explanations in Mr. Puhn's book I felt I didn't want to take the chance of having worse bumpsteer, ackerman, and possibly more tire wear then what I already have stock. With the Blazer spindles and brakes I'll get better braking and the steering, ackerman and tire wear will at least be the same as stock. IIRC, to get better braking, I just get bigger rotors w/ matching calipers (Corvette) and the caliper to Blazer spindle mounting bracket. I'll be able to improve the handling somewhat with taller ball joints and adjustable upper control arms.
I've said all this to explain why I HAVE decided to go this way!! In no way am I trying to say who is right or who is wrong! I'm just doing my own thing!

Doug

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I think I read somewhere to do the B body spindles requires the use of a/m tubular upper control arms.Any thoughts on that?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Doug, I'm gonna be following you to see how you make out. I see a frame in the foreground of your posted pic, I'm in the same situation. Frames inside, body is outside under cover waiting the frankenstein conversion to begin. Please keep us informed. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Doug, what did that all run ya?
Good luck with the build, cant wait to see! :beer: Careening (almost literally :p) toward a suspension overhaul myself!

Jeri~

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I read somewhere to do the B body spindles requires the use of a/m tubular upper control arms.Any thoughts on that?
Thanks
I THINK the tubular upper control arms are used most of the time in B-body spindle swaps (I was leaning that way back when I considered the swap).
If you're asking me my thoughts on the upper control arms, I can't say yet. All I can say for sure is that changing the upper control arm pivot points (ball joint and/or arm pivot point) changes the location of the instantaneous center(s) and the roll center (both at stand still and at travel). Just some of the many things that has an effect on handling.

Doug

My build will be moving S-L-O-W-L-Y while I take care of family things and hunting and gathering parts. Anything new will be posted in this thread (unless I have a sometimers moment or two)!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I installed LS1 Camaro (98-02) on all three of my G-body cars. The advantage of installing Camaro LS1 brakes is 12" rotors all the way around, and use of original G-body spindles, easily modified for the conversion. Also uses stock G-body brake hoses for fronts, although I upgraded to braided stainless for G-body. I just used the Camaro hoses on the rear brakes, but had to shorten and re-flare the steel lines. Boneyards are becoming highly populated with 98-02 Camaros, all with 12" discs, so parts are easily attainable and reasonably priced. :smileyb:

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Whats the bolt pattern on the camaro rotors?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts