El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. I recently visited a yard that had some 2wd Blazer Spindles. I have read enough to know that they will be an exact swap to my 86. I was only wondering will it change my bolt pattern from 5 x 4.75? I was told that it would not but I cant wrap my head around that. Any other suggestions while doing this swap will also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marvin

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
no it is the same bolt patern but be carful of the center register diamiter,some of the late 90s s10 blazers had two piston calipers.and give you a lot more brake

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it is the same bolt patern but be carful of the center register diamiter,some of the late 90s s10 blazers had two piston calipers.and give you a lot more brake
Are the s10 blazer same bolt patten and complete bolt on swap?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While during the motor upgrade I also got the opportunity to replace my spindles but unfortunately I didnt take pictures. Very straight forward swap. Any questions just shoot.

Marvin

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why new spindles?

I am definitely going to look into upgrading to the 2 piston calipers on my 81. What is the advantage of installing the Blazer spindles? Are they stronger? Will the 2 piston calipers mount directly on the existing spindles or do you need the Blazer spindles to do the swap?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You must use the complete 1998-& up 2WD Blazer brakes (from the ball joints out!)as well as the brake hose to frame bracket. You can only use the said Blazer spindles and NOT G-body spindles if you want the dual piston calipers! Yes, the Blazer bolt pattern is the same (and they have meteric lug bolts). Alignment, wheel back spacing, and steering geometry will all be same as your G-body (the only thing you get from this swap is better brakes!).
Doug

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good writeup,
I got to thinking, if your using s10/jimmy spindles can you get a drop while your at it with drop spindles? So I looked up 99 st 2wd spindles on summit racing and came up with a lot of spindles that look like this

But the writeup has spindles that look like this

What gives? Old stock photo on summits part? All of the different manufactures pics look like that tho?

Also, wouldn't you want to put a larger master cylinder? Seeing how the dual piston calipers now require larger volume?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Summit has Belltech 2" drop spindles for the 1998-up Blazer 2WD dual piston caliper brakes. The Summit part number (as per a G-body forum post!) is BEL-2102.

Doug

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
If I understand your question correctly, yes.

Doug

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
fm Summit on-line catalog: BEl-2102 $328.00 pr plus shipping

·
Registered
338 Posts
Couple of questions I've searched but kinda confused can I use the dual piston caliper from a four wheel drive on a spindle from a 2wd single piston caliper? Also what size are the blazers/s10 rotors. I wanna do the ls1 all around but blazer/S10 are plentiful.....thanks, Spencer

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Couple of questions I've searched but kinda confused can I use the dual piston caliper from a four wheel drive on a spindle from a 2wd single piston caliper?

1.) No! 2.) 10.82" dia. 3.) The Blazer spindles can take up to C-5 Vette brakes with a caliper adapter bar.

Doug

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just finished gathering parts for this upgrade. You can utilize the '98-'02 LS1 F-body front calipers by using an adapter with the '98-'05 GMC Jimmy Spindle along with the '97-'04 Corvette caliper abutment bracket, pads and rotors. You could also use the Corvette calipers if you desire. The Corvette components are also commonly referred to as C5 in this year range.

I made my own adapters from a drawing floating around, also you can purchase them from Kore3. I spoke with Tobin Knighton there....very helpful! I first tried to use the '98-'02 LS1 caliper/abutment/rotor combo. The offset of the F-body rotor along with the smaller diameter of the rotor.....plus the abutment offset, would require major modification to the GMC spindle itself. The above mentioned paragraph is as "bolt-on" as it gets. The original GMC Jimmy calipers would be enough of an upgrade compared to factory...I just wanted my fronts to match the LS1 disc upgrade I did to my rear end a few months ago....plus I liked the idea of sealed bearings out front and slip on rotors on all 4 corners....easy maintenance!

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you're going with drop spindles I'd check around craigslist as s-10s are fairly common and could get a set 1/2 price. BTW what is the yard charging for the blazer setup?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can't remember off top but if I pull the whole thing by just busting the ball joints loose and leaving the calipers on im only gonna get charged for the spindle as an assembly. As for the drop im not going any lower I have a set of 24s that I ride and 18 with 295 35 on the rear I swap out to change it up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts