El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ended up springing for a new Turbo, so 1k more than i expected, but that's how this beast goes. I'm procrastinating on installing my fuel pump since I know i'm going to be under there all day redoing lines along with a few trips to the parts store for lines and bits. I know that I'm going to be doing some flaring/bending. Just being a wienie about it!! I don't even have the excuse of it being cold!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Dropped the tank to install the 255lph pump required for the Syclone motor. Busted the tank strap bolts in the process. Need to redo all of the lines in tubing, vice rubber. Should be a good time!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Unpacked the box to see what all I got. Woot!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks, luckily for me Hawaii doesn't have the winter issue, just shipping and parts support.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Fuel filter done with hard lines instead of just FI line.

Blue hose is a custom made High pressure line to mate with the main feed line.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Looking great!! Rub in the winter blues !! Been to Hickham/Pearl 37 times in my travels in the Air Guard,, love it,, every time I had young ones (Airman) I took them to the Arizona and Mighty MO,, you are moving right along with that turbo set up,, keep the progress coming,, and it is 43 degrees here in Ohio,, swimmin` weather,, Matty man

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Tearing out the tired 4.3

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

It's empty!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Frame notched

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yeah this frame issue was a staller for me, resources on island can be scarce, but it's moving forward. Modding the firewall plug is my next hurdle. Trying to find a legit pintout of the bulkhead connector is proving to be troublesome. I've the ECU pinout, but it doesn't help much.

Boost-max is 40 psi, but I won't be running anything close to that, base setup is 15 PSI and I can adjust from there.

Thank you JJ.
Mahalo,
Mario

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So after getting the engine settled and working some other finite mechanics, I settled down to work on the harness and cropped up another issue. The ECU side of the harness while similar to the 86, is NOT the same, Chevy had to go and change it. I did expect to have do to some splicing, but I'm trying to avoid a hatchet looking job. Thankfully I have the service manual for both vehicles and will be disassembling and transplanting the Typhoon harness into the El Camino shell since I don't have the Typhoon firewall box. Pics to follow. Let me add that getting through the weatherproofing goo is quite a challenge and messy at that.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hello blcknslv86,,
Your progress is coming right along,, just wondering on the wire harness, did you call places like painless wiring or there is a place and I Am completely drawing a blank on, CRS syndrome,, dang,, anyway see what they can do for the harness, I am sure it is $$$,, you are correct on the goo from the factory is fun to remove and prep for paint. Keep the progress coming,, Matty man

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The harnesses are pretty pricey 300-400 bones, I checked through the diagrams and I've got it down to 11 circuits that will cross over, there may be one splice due to spade terminal width and lack of ability to get the Pack-con connectors quickly on island. I'm down to a time issue as well. I received my hard copy orders and will be leaving the island soon, so will the truck. I want it to run =). Appreciate the ideas though. I did soft mount the turbo to fit out the down pipe, gave me chills, didn't take a photo though, darn. Mahalo Mario

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Got the wiring. My only remaining issue besides re-looming it all is the fuel pump circuits. Typhoons did it the same, but different. Looks like I'll just add another relay and be good.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts