El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after searches on searches i couldn't seem to find the answer im looking for. Im trying to get an idea of everything ill need to hook heat and AC back up in my 1980 elk. My blower motor would intermentily work, after further inspection i found a melted wire was the cause, and after even more inspection i found the wire melted due to the blower motor itself being EXCESSIVELY hot. What might cause this? I assume this is the main power source for the blower

·
Registered
937 Posts
Remove the blower motor out of the car, apply 12 volts to the motor and check for smooth rotation. Also check for dirt and debris inside the duct that may be jamming the squirrel cage

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the blower motor out of the car, apply 12 volts to the motor and check for smooth rotation. Also check for dirt and debris inside the duct that may be jamming the squirrel cage
Will try it as soon as i get home from work tomorrow and post results, thanks man!

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
99% sure your blower motor is bad. When the power wire starts melting the motor is pulling too much current to run. There could be a bad ground somewhere but the burnt connector is pretty telling at the motor.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well fellas i took the birdcage out and tested it, worked perfectly fine. I put it all back together and used a jumper wire from the standard plug to see if it works in the car. It all worked perfectly fine, i think a jumping connection from the +12v plug caused my issues. Thanks to everyone who offered some advice! Now on to getting my blend door actuator working! I think im missing some vacuum lines, if anyone has any advice on what lines go to the vacuum ball it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Basic setup is one line from the intake manifold/carb base plate and one line to the heater control inside the cab. There are variations depending upon year and engine. Check the under hood emissions decal for vacuum line routing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts